Gemini

Days passed and I finally got settled into my own flat, or, it would be my own if it weren’t for my 24/7 bodyguard. I did enjoy Mathew’s company, but the occasional alone time was well enjoyed as well but I rarely ever got it after Mycroft put me into witness protection. It wasn’t much of a witness protection seeing as how I no longer lived in a false home with a false name. Things never seemed to last long for me.

I just finished unpacking my last bag when I lifted out a shirt to reveal a picture I had forgotten I ever had. I picked it up and sat on my bed, just staring at it. It was a photo of Greg and me at John’s birthday party. Mrs. Hudson had snuck a picture of us while we were kissing. His arm was around my waist and despite not being able to see much of our faces, we looked happy. He trusted me so much and seemed so relaxed in the picture.  It hurt knowing how much I had hurt him and that I would never be able to gain his trust back. I laid the picture down on my nightstand, glancing at my phone before finally picking it up and dialing Greg’s number. My finger hovered over the call button but I couldn’t bring myself to actually do it, so I texted instead.

‘Still need help with that case?’

When he didn’t text back I forced myself to shrug it off and continued on with my day. Mathew was in the kitchen getting a glass of water when I walked in to check the fridge. There wasn’t much, just a few hot pockets and other microwavable foods that I knew I would quickly get sick of.

“Alright, I’m going shopping. I can’t survive off of this stuff. I need actual food and I don’t have much tea anyway. I’ll be back in a bit. Do you want anything?” I closed the door and glanced up at him as he finished off his water in a swift chug.

“I can pick it up myself because you’re not leaving the apartment on your own.” He sat the glass down and pushed off the counter.

“Mathew, stop. I’ll be fine. It’s just the grocery store and it’s not like I haven’t been on my own a few times since I got to California. Stop worrying about me so much. You seem to forget that I took care of myself for years before you came around.”

“Being dependent on Moriarty and not being the direct target of the now most dangerous man in England does not count as taking care of yourself. And come on, you’re steal healing from a gunshot. We have to up our guard and that’s not going to happen by me letting you roam around London alone. Sherlock was right, I-”

“Let me stop you right there. Never say Sherlock was right in my presence…and definitely avoid saying Mycroft was right. So, I’m going to the supermarket and I’ll be back soon. If it makes you feel any better I will text you when I get there and text you when I am on my way back.”

He started to say something else but I walked out before a word could leave his mouth. Slipping on my shoes and a jacket, I left, traveling down the bleak streets of London. It wasn’t raining and the streets weren’t crowded, so it made for a nice walk. As I turned the corner, I collided with someone’s chest and nearly fell down. Stumbling back a couple of steps I felt myself thump into someone else. I quickly gained my composure and looked up to say an apology but stopped short when I recognized the nearly identical faces.

“Alexander and Nicholas Becket. What in the bloody hell are the two of you doing in England?” I looked between the blond headed twins in disbelief. The Becket twins ran a minor crime ring in Massachusetts that I helped them start up years ago while I still worked for Moriarty. They helped me get info and I helped them build a name. I worked almost as close with them as I worked with Jim.

“We came to see Jimbo, but Tiger told us he was dead.” Alexander wrapped a strong arm around my shoulders, pulling me close. “Now, who else could do that but Miss Jayden Moriarty herself? Because we know Sebastian wouldn’t lay a finger on him.”

“Do not call me that. He and I never got married and I want nothing to do with his memory.” I growled, pulling away from him only to be caught in the same way by his brother.

“Say, Alex, don’t you remember a time when Jayden was borderline obsessed with that man?” Nicholas chuckled with a dark grin as the two of them led me into an alley.

“She would have given her life for him at one point. But, I guess she was his rag doll for a while. Anyway, Tiger’s looking for you, y’know.” Alexander rested a hand on my wounded shoulder, squeezing just enough to cause discomfort. “He was willing to let you off easy at one point, kill you without the games, but now he wants your heart. Ripped out of your chest. While you’re still breathing. Now, you know that we’re not going to do that, or I’m not. Messy torture’s not my thing, Nick on the other hand would have no problem with it.” His grip tightened and I would have collapsed had Nicholas not been holding my in place.

“What, has he hired you to kill me?” I growled, my jaw clenched as I tried to control my breathing to ease the pain.

“Oh no, no, not at all. Actually, it’s quite the contrary.” Nicholas grinned as he pulled away, handing me to his brother. “Tiger wanted us to keep you occupied until he could get done with his business.”

“You’re our play thing now, darling.” Alexander pressed me hard against the cold brick wall, a hand grasping my wounded shoulder tight enough to make me gasp in pain as he flicked out his pocket knife and ran it down my side. “If I had it my way, I would make you scream. We’re in public right now, so I’ll have some decency, but-”

“Alexander. What did I say about getting hands-on?” A raspy Irish accent cut through the air like a knife and the American stepped away with a sly smirk, sending Sebastian into my view. “I said to stall her and nothing more. Yankees…” he scoffed.

“Hey! I take offense to that. I am a Red Sox fan, thank you very much,” Nicholas defended and his brother elbowed him harshly in the side.

“Not what he meant, moron. Jesus Christ, think before you speak.”

Sebastian ignored the two babbling idiots in the background as he eyed me like a tiger does its prey right before killing it. I could see the distress in his eyes. He and Jim had been close for years, so I knew killing Jim would bother him. But I didn’t expect it to get to him this bad. He’s killed many people over the years, much more than I could ever imagine, but I had never seen him stare at any one person with so much hatred. I could practically see him imagining every way he could torture me before he killed me.

“Good to see you’re doing well, Kitten.” He dug his thumb into my bullet wound, making me scream and my knees go weak. “You do look much better when you’re in pain. It’s much sexier.”

“W-Why?” My voice barely came out. “Why are you doing this? This…game…”

“Because I’m not quite ready to kill you. Oh no, Kitten, I’m just getting started. I’ll kill you when I’m ready, but not until I make you suffer.”

His thumb dug in deeper and my vision blurred as my knees grew weak. I could hear the buzzing of the twins still arguing growing fainter and fainter and the dull buzz of vehicles passing but not stopping. My whole body ached as Sebastian threw me to the ground and gave me a swift kick before walking away. As I could feel my consciousness quickly slipping away I just barely managed to send a message to the most recent number in my phone.

‘Help’