Monotonous -

My stomach was grumbling and my eyes were aching from the cold. Sheepishly fumbling up into a ball as I sadly leaned to the side. The hesitant echoes of steel and metal slapping together caused my ears to flare up. "Where'd you get that?" I eagerly ask when I see a pipe in between the chains that wrapped itself around the boy and his red wrists.

"Doesn't matter." I sullenly pout, changing my posture and leaning his way, to the left. He winced by instinct making me flinch also. "You won't live long enough to figure out anyways." His voice was real raspy from lack of hydration.

My entire body shut down along with my heart— "What do you mean.." I unconsciously caused my own fright. I didn't like the thought of not being able to escape something as terrifying as this. It's not that I wasn't aware it was a countable possibility it's just that my mind mentally cannot bear it.

He looked at me one last time before the pipe dropped down behind him and he managed to slide one hand out. "I said what I said. Took me two months to come up with a plan and one more to be able to touch that pipe." Monotonous; lacking in variation in tone or pitch. He stood up weakly, "I just hope you can do the same." He didn't have to say he was abandoning me so I could understand the grasp of the situation, I completely lost all hope when he slipped his second hand out from the chains.

I watched as he put his ear by the door and stealthily walked out. Leaving another prisoner behind like a piece of worthless waste.

 Leaving another prisoner behind like a piece of worthless waste