Chapter 8

When they returned to the hall to dine that evening, Aethelred was already seated at the head of the table, waiting for them. Aethelflaed sat at the other end of the table. She felt uneasy facing him, but there were many bodies between them, and the distance was a comfort.

He did not speak until they had all been served.

"I have made my decision. I will petition for a divorce. We will leave for Winchester in the morning." Aethelflaed felt a flood of relief, but it was cut short when he spoke again, "On one condition: you will spend tonight with me, Aethelflaed. It has been too long since we have shared a bed. We will enjoy one last night as husband and wife."

Aethelflaed felt nauseous. Of course he would demand this. He took any opportunity to humiliate her. Around the table, the other guests reacted to Aethelred's demand. Finan lowered his cup, looking uneasily at Uhtred. Uhtred gripped his knife tightly, visibly tensing. Aethelflaed could not look at Erik. She did not have the emotional space to worry about his reaction. She had to trust that he would not make the situation worse.

Aethelflaed took a long, slow sip of ale, trying to calm herself. She placed her cup on the table and stared across at Aethelred, offering him a tight smile.

"Then we are agreed. We will leave early tomorrow. We will bring as many witnesses as you wish."

Aethelred smiled back at her, and she wondered how she could ever have been fooled by his flimsy facade. She had been so young when they married, naive and hopeful enough to believe he would be a good man and a decent husband.

Aethelred sat back, satisfied that he had made the deal on his own terms, however minor. "A toast to my lovely wife." He raised his cup but did not wait for anyone to join him before taking a long swig. Then he grimaced. "This ale is dreadful. It is not brewed here in Mercia, is it? I hate to think my land produces such foul drink."

Aethelflaed felt Erik's eyes on her, and she met his gaze and subtly shook her head, attempting to dismiss his concern. She gestured for one of her servants and whispered instructions. The servant left the hall and returned a short time later carrying a fine ceramic jug.

"Lord, may I offer you some wine from Francia?" Aethelflaed asked, as the servant poured a cup for Lord Aethelred. "It was a gift from my father. There is not much left, not enough to serve our guests, but I am certain you will prefer it to the ale."

Aethelred took the cup and nodded at the servant. "I am sure our 'guests' can make do with ale. But you, wife, you should drink with me."

She detested when he played the doting husband, but it was always best to play along. She smiled and accepted the cup the servant offered. This time, when Aethelred raised his cup in a toast, she joined.

"To the long night ahead," he smirked. Erik's cup slammed down on the table, but everyone ignored it. Aethelflaed brought the wine to her lips for a small sip.

Aethelflaed woke the next morning groggy and tired. She knew from the light pouring in through the window that she had slept later than she intended. She should rise and finish the preparations for the journey, but it was hard to rouse her limbs. Next to her in bed, Aethelred lay face down, still in a deep sleep. The sight of him motivated Aethelflaed to rise, if only to get away from his loud breath and disconcerting presence. She dressed quickly, donning a simple gown suited for travelling, and slipped into the hallway.

She almost crashed into Erik, who was standing too close to the chamber door. Still foggy from sleep, Aethelflaed took a moment to recover her balance and focus. She looked up into Erik's anxious face.

"You look ill, lord," she said.

Erik shook his head impatiently. "Of course I do. I barely slept for worrying about you. I should not have left you alone with him."

Aethelflaed finally recalled the night before and the loathsome deal she had struck with Aethelred. Of course Erik had been concerned.

"It is a pity you did not have some of the Frankish wine, Erik," Aethelflaed's tone was playful, "you would have slept soundly. I know Aethelred enjoyed the wine and he has never slept so deeply. Or so quickly."

Erik looked confused, but then understanding dawned on his face. He breathed a sigh of relief and leaned into Aethelflaed, resting his forehead against hers.

"So you are alright?"

"I am fine," she assured him. "And within a few days, all will be well."

"I wish you had told me of your plan."

"I meant to, but I could not give anything away at the table. He is paranoid at the best of times. I had to accept his offer of the wine, to quell his suspicions, and though I only drank a little it knocked me out too. I could not stay awake long enough to tell you."

Erik pulled her in for a brief hug. "You are a brilliant woman, Aethelflaed."

She laughed into this shoulder. "I am a fortunate woman with a trustworthy cook. We set up this scheme many months ago, in case Aethelred should ever visit. I am grateful I had to use it only once." She stepped back, out of his arms. "You cannot linger here. He will wake up soon and I need everything to go smoothly."

Erik nodded, but leaned in for a quick kiss. "I will see you in Coccham. Until then, be careful, love. Do not trust that man."

Aethelflaed nodded and rested her hand on his cheek, stroking the stubble of his beard. "And you, be careful on the road. You are not well liked in Wessex or Mercia and someone could make an attempt on your life."

Erik grinned ruefully. "I am not an easy man to kill, lady."

She smiled and watched him go, praying that she would see him again.