13

"I honestly don't understand." Roman huffed as the intrusive sound of an unwanted conversation came barreling through his pleasant sleep. 

"Shouldn't he have raged over it?" Another voice called out with a scared tone of voice only to get answered by a laugh.

"Guys, Virgil lived in Romans den. The wolf took care of him." A spastic giggle sounded far too close making Roman sniff the air cautiously. He instantly started growling peeking his eyes open to find Remus directly beside them, as he curled his tail around Virgil more. 

"Oh? Lookie, lookie guys. Someone's awake." Roman let out a somewhat quiet growling bark, pulling his lips back to show his fangs as Remus got even closer. Janus paled as he suddenly stiffened in concern.

"Uh, Remus? Maybe you should-..." Roman snapped at Remus who had tried to pet Virgil, making the rat quickly pull his hand back so it didn't get bitten. Janus sighed as he pulled him back away from the two. "Honestly, you have no sense of self-preservation." There was a small meow making Roman jerk up nuzzling Virgil lightly who stretched before falling back to sleep, kneading into Roman's fur. 

"Ok, that's just adorable." Patton giggled as he ran up and just sat there in front of Roman, ignoring the growl the wolf gave him. "You hungry, kiddo? Tommy's gonna make some breakfast if you'd like some. He said something about... bacon? I think that's meat though. I'll probably just have some cereal." Roman blinked a bit before glancing at Virgil and whining softly making Patton chuckle. "It's ok, Kiddo. If you don't want to get up, we can just save some for you?"

"Wait... Why wouldn't he get up to eat?" Logan frowned in confusion just highly lost about everything. "He's already awake. I do not understand why he would need to remain laying there. Wouldn't he, being that he is a wolf, want to ensure that he has food?" Roman just whined again, flicking his tail against the cat laying on him, as he curled up again. 

"I'll let Tommy know you're not ready to get up." Patton whispered as he got up gesturing for everyone to leave without making a sound. Janus had to drag Remus out just to make sure he didn't mess with the wolf more. Roman let out a huff, peeking out to see the room empty again. He let out a rumbling purr as he brushed his nose against the cat, loving how his scent surrounded the other completely. Virgil purred, kneading more into him as Roman slowly fell back to sleep.

"Roman?" Roman growled as yet again a voice tried to pull him from sleep. "Roman, come on." He tried to curl up again only to freeze noticing that familiar comforting pressure that was against him was no longer there. He jumped up in a panic only to freeze seeing Virgil, human again, sitting there beside him. "You good there, Wolfie." Roman yawned deeply before huffing and letting himself shift into a human with a smile.

"Yeah." Roman chuckled as he rubbed his eyes. "When did you wake up?" Virgil just stared over at the wolf still just sitting there on the puppy bed with this look in his eyes.

"You didn't have to do that you know." Roman shot the other a confused look making Virgil groan and hugged himself. "Sleep with me... protect me like we were still in the den. You didn't have to do that."

"I wanted to." 

"Roman..." Roman shook his head cutting Virgil off as he growled making the cat tense up. "Why?"

"I..." Roman blinked as he tilted his head in a very dog-like confusion that made Virgil laugh. "I don't really know. I just... I saw my bed... and then I saw you and..." Roman's expression only got worse as that confusion grew. "I just had to. It wasn't about protecting you. It was just about... being there. I-I don't... I don't understand." Roman jumped feeling Virgil's hand against his. "Virgil?"

"It's ok, Roman. I didn't mind it. I just... I didn't want you to think you HAD to protect me." Roman's face fell into a soft smile as he shook his head again.

"Oh no. I know that. You'd tear even me apart." Virgil laughed making Roman just melt at the sound. "I promise... It's not because of that. I just don't know what." Virgil smiled softly as he started off at the floor with a nod. 

"Well... Thank you anyway, wolf boy."

"And the nickname returns." Roman teased as he slowly got to his feet, holding his hand out to the other with this sparkle in his eyes. Virgil just rolled his eyes as he let himself be helped to his feet.

"Of course...  I mean... you ARE a wolf bo-..." Virgil grunted as Roman suddenly pulled him in against his chest making the cat tense up at the sudden action. Roman wrapped his arms around him as Virgil slowly met his gaze with a soft confusion. 

"I am a man..." Roman said with a smirk as he slowly leaned in to growl in the other's ear, feeling as Virgil practically clawed into his shirt. "...not a child." Virgil gulped as he carefully shifted, tilting his head to the side as he turned just enough for Roman to flash him his fangs while talking. "But if you need a reminder, I'm sure I can-..."

"Oh hey!" Roman jerked back quickly letting Virgil go as he turned to see Thomas coming out of the kitchen. "You guys are up-... Uh... Virgil you ok there." Virgil just blinked as he tried to will the blush to go down. He didn't understand what had gotten into Roman but at the same time... He wasn't really complaining. He was just really confused. Roman frowned as he brushed Virgil's hair back, concern flitting in his eyes, as the smaller just nodded shakily. "Well ok," Thomas mumbled, not really believing it but deciding to just let it go. He didn't want to upset the cat after all. They were still on pretty rock ground. "If you guys are hungry foods in the fridge. Just heat it up by the microwave. Wait... Virgil do you know how to use that?"

"Uh, Yeah... Yeah, I do." Thomas smiled as he nodded ignoring how Roman just watched Virgil closely as the other just stared at the floor with confusion written all over his expression.

"Ok, well you guys can just heat everything up then. I've already told everyone, but I'm going to head out to the store to pick some stuff up, and then I'm thinking we should start doing some classes since many of you don't know how to read or write."

"I'm not stupid!" Roman snapped with this growl that made Thomas flinch. "I'm a wolf. It's not like we need to read or write. How exactly and I going to hold a pen in my paws?"

"I don't think that's what he was trying to say, Wolfie." Roman grumbled as he leaned against Virgil who had wrapped his arm around him to try and calm him down.

"I'm not stupid." He repeated again as Virgil sighed. 

"We know that. Wolves are very smart creatures." Roman smiled slightly as he nodded, taking a deep breath as Virgil rubbed his back.

"I'm sorry. It's just... All-day yesterday I kept feeling like everyone was commenting on my intelligence because I couldn't read. It's not my fault."

"I'm sorry if I made you feel that way." Thomas quickly cut in with this genuine expression that made Roman smile all the more. "That was never my intention. I know how smart you are, Roman."

"Thank you." Roman muttered very quietly as Thomas smiled with a nod.

"It's no problem, bud. But I think I should head out before it gets even later. I want to see if I can get a few beds too. Joan's letting me use their truck." Thomas laughed as he raced to the door to grab his jacket. "Remember foods in the fridge and don't let Remus destroy the place while I'm out." As soon as the front door shut Virgil shot a glance over to see the wolf just standing there against him with this relaxed expression. He couldn't help but smile as he held him a bit tighter making Roman let out a rumble that only made Virgil's smile grow.

"Things are going to be interesting living here aren't they?" Roman laughed and nodded as he turned to look into the cat's eyes with a glimmer in his own. 

"Tell me about it."