Chapter 1

A knock came from the front door of the Kazekage's mansion. The black night outside looked frightening, so dark no one would ever think of traveling at this moment. Which is what made three of the occupants in the house question who was visiting at this hour. Another knock came and it sounded more impatient and urgent. "Get the door, Baki," the Kazekage ordered. "Kankuro! Temari! ... Gaara! Get down here this instant!"

"Yes sir!" Kankuro and Temari's voices. The two siblings immediately walked into the room. Gaara stayed silent, entering at his own pace.

"Right this way, Mr. Harvenheit," Baki spoke from the from door. The man stood just out of sight, yet two pairs of feet shuffled into the household. "Cold night, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is," Mr. Harvenheit answered. He slipped off his shoes. "With that sand storm earlier today, it delayed our trip. We made up the time by pressing on."

"You have not kept us waiting long. The Kazekage will be meeting with you in the den."

The two guests were escorted into the room where the Kazekage waited alongside his children, whose eyes went to the smallest of the strangers. "Lord Harvenheit, it is a pleasure seeing you again," the Kazekage greeted. The men clasped hands in greeting.

"The feeling is mutual."

"May I introduce you to my children: Kankuro, Temari, and Gaara."

"This is my daughter, Azmaria." He motioned towards the small girl with jet-black hair and dark green eyes, who stood halfway behind her father's leg. Her eyes held wonder as she observed everyone in the room. "She turned eight two weeks ago."

"Amazing how the time flies."

"Yes, it is. I have trained her myself and she is nothing less than exceptional. Over time she will grow more and more, under the guidance of this household, of course."

"I expect nothing less from the Head Commander of the Stealth Force in The Village Hidden in the Clouds, Kumogakure. She may be even better than my own children."

"No way!" Kankuro protested. "I'm better." His arms crossed over his chest to express just how tough he was.

Temari punched his shoulder, mumbling, "Shut up, idiot!"

The men chuckled. "A little rivalry will do them well," the Kazekage stated. "I thank you for traveling all this way, Lord Harvenheit. Would you like daily reports on your daughter's progress?"

"Yes, that would be nice."

"Wait, she's staying with us?" the older boy asked.

"Yes, Kankuro, she is." Lord Harvenheit bent down in front of his daughter, giving her a kiss on the forehead and tying a Sand Village Ninja headband around her neck. "From now on, Azmaria Harvenheit will have a permanent place in the Kazekage Household... as Gaara's guard and Soldier."

Temari and Kankuro's eyes widened at this information. "Huh?" the sister questioned.

Lord Harvenheit stood and walked towards the front door, Azmaria turning her head slightly to watch him go. However, she stopped herself before looking down at the ground instead.

"Azmaria was trained to be a Solider since the day she walked. To protect a specific individual assigned to her. That is the law in the Harvenheit Household. They are given to a noble family at the age of eight and ordered to remain at their post until the age of twenty-one. Once released, they return to the Village in the Clouds to start decide their own path from there."

"Why is that?" Kankuro asked. He stared at the girl in the room quizzically.

"I do not know all the details, only that it's the law." The Kazekage looked over at Gaara. "She is now under your control, Gaara. Azmaria will be your guardian until you both reach the age of twenty-one." The boy didn't answer, pinning a glare at the newest addition to the household. "Understood, Gaara? So try not to kill her. She's here to help, not harm."

"Yes... father..." he answered in a monotone voice.