22

Rubble, dirt and broken wood and porcelain littered the ground as we walked through Shiganshina's streets, Eren leading the way towards his house

Rubble, dirt and broken wood and porcelain littered the ground as we walked through Shiganshina's streets, Eren leading the way towards his house. I walked alongside Eren, who seemed to be deep in thought as he looked around at his original hometown. His eyes filled with nostalgia and sadness as he scanned the rigid and torn apart houses. 

"Would've been so fun if you grew up with us," Eren says quietly, making me turn to him. "Armin used to read books about the outside world, it was so nice..." He looked at me with nostalgia as we walked, his gaze locked with mine. "I appreciate you choosing Armin." He said in a low breathy whisper so Levi and Hanji don't hear. 

Guilt fills me as I think of how kind Erwin was to me and I let out a nervous sigh. "I hope Erwin forgives me," I say back to him in the same low whisper. He smiles sadly. "Apparently I was his favorite." 

"Seemed like it," he shifts closer to me, our hands touching for the briefest moment. "For whatever reason, he liked you a lot."

"I didn't even finish his prosthetic," my eyes begin to fill with fresh hot tears once again and I feel Eren's hand slip into mine, his soft and slender fingers entwining with mine. He ran his thumb over my skin tenderly in a comforting manor. A small smile spread on my lips as I glanced at Eren, but he looked really sad.

Suddenly, Eren's footsteps speed up and he turns a corner, pausing and staring at the smaller street. He looks at Mikasa and then begins to run towards a few stone stairs that led to more houses. He dragged me along behind him and finally stopped in front of a small house crushed by a big boulder. A few birds loitered around it and thick moss had grown on top of the big rock. 

"Is this it?" Hanji asks. Eren nods at her, tugging my hand as he walks towards the pile of rubble. He looks around, his mouth slightly agape and his eyes filled with sadness. Eren let go of my hand and went to a pile of broken porcelain and glass. He bent down on his knees, moving it away carefully piece by piece. Mikasa and I joined him as Hanji and Levi looked around. I assume this is where the cellar is supposed to be.

Finally, throwing the last bit of porcelain aside, Eren puts his hand on the now half uncovered wood underneath. There was still a huge rock covering it. Levi found two long wooden sticks that he jutted underneath the rock and Mikasa, Eren and Levi pushed the boulder aside using the piece of wood while Hanji and I used the other one. Soon enough, the boulder fell over and Eren rushed forward to dust aside small rocks, revealing a dusted golden handle.

He lifted it, opening the wooden door in the ground with a squeak and peering down into the darkness. Levi led the way with his light, moving down the stairs and I followed after him quickly. Eren removed the key from around his neck once we got to the bottom of the stairs and to the wooden door. 

Eren tried inserting the key into the keyhole but it didn't fit. Levi scoffed and stepped forward, kicking through the wood. Moving it aside, he steps in, shining his light throughout the room. I light a lamp, illuminating the room. The familiar scent of old paper and herbs fills my nostrils as I look around at the familiar study room. Bottles of medicine names I couldn't pronounce littered a far shelf and the other shelves were filled with books.