Into the Light

Summary: Death has a chance to save Life, but will Life be given a second chance to live again? One shot fic. Tru/Jack

ON WITH THE SHOW!

The cold night air bit at his jeans as a man in a black leather jacket walked briskly up to the emergency entrance of the city hospital. He was panting heavily by the time he reached the receptionist's desk nestled in the corner.

"She – she needs help," he panted as a nurse rushed out immediately to his aide.

The nurse gestured to the young brunette who lay unconscious in his arms.

"What happened, sir?" the nurse asked, calling attention to the other medical staff around her as a gurney was wheeled out.

"I – I found her...somewhere," he continued, his every breath more ragged and trying than the previous one. "She was drugged."

"We're going to do everything we can, sir," the nurse said, trying to reassure him. "But we need to know a few things." As the nurse spoke, the gurney was being wheeled away until it was completely concealed by the swinging wooden doors behind it.

"Do you have any idea who could've done this to her?" the nurse asked.

Jack Harper gazed steadily at the young nurse and made no immediate attempt to respond as he looked past her at the swinging wooden doors where Tru Davies had been taken moments ago. He tried to mask the worry and concern that coursed through him like fast acting venom, the thought of revenge set firmly and unwavering in his mind.

The clock was ticking as his heart pounded faster and faster inside his chest, beating with a rhythmic resolution.

His aching muscles didn't stop him from quickening his pace. He had to get her somewhere safe. She needed immediate medical attention before it was too late and there'd be nothing he could do at all.

He took a moment to look at the unconscious form that he carried in his arms, stopping a minute to check for a pulse. It was very weak, only surfacing intermittently. Her breathing was shallow and she seemed to have no life left in her. Her rosy cheeks were colorless and an ashen gray, her tanned skin now a pallid white and her body cool, but slightly clammy.

He swallowed forcefully. "It's going to be okay, Tru. We're almost there. It's going to be okay."

Jack adjusted his hold on Tru and continued his brisk walk to the hospital, not bothering to look behind him as the blackness of the night welcomed him. It was in the past now. The glowing sun that illuminated the sky with its brightness had set. What's done was done.

The warehouse sat on top of a small hill, nestled in the little forestry present around it. It was decrepit and worn looking at first glance and no one was aware that a lonely occupant was being held hostage there helplessly against her will. Except for one person in particular...

Jack knocked on the wooden door, his fist grazed and scratched from its harshness. The knocking turned quickly into persistent pounding.

"Tru? Are you in there? Tru! Tru!" Jack yelled at the top of his lungs as he tried to pry open the locked door. He reached inside his breast pocket and pulled out a small instrument and inserted it into the lock, jiggling and twisting until the lock finally gave way.

Jack breathed a heavy sigh of relief and stepped inside.

Shit. What the hell did he do to her? Jack cursed silently as he surveyed the scene before him carefully.

Tru was tied to a chair, her arms now behind her back and her legs dangling precariously beneath her, not quite touching the rough wooden flooring. Her head was lolled to one side and strands of her dark chocolate brown hair covered her pale face as she remained immobile. He noticed that a gag was in her mouth and Jack could imagine she must've put up quite a fight against her assailant if he had gone this far to stop her from overpowering him.