seven

morgan

sunday morning before my first day of officially classes, i'm sitting in the dining hall alone at the usual breakfast spot.

i left early to grab some warm cinnamon rolls for joss, who was half asleep and moaning when i left.
felt like she might need the pick-me-up.

my mom has been texting me nonstop asking about things, so i've been trying to reply to each and every one the best i can. between typing, i eat spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt with raspberries and granola in it.

a tray slapping down onto the dark wooden table makes me jump, practically flinging my phone across the big room.

"woah, hey," i say, eyeing josslyn curiously as she sits down across from me.

her eyes are eager and on the verge of laughing. she leans in close across the table.
"what did you do to ethan yesterday?"

"what? i didn't do anything to him. is he upset?"

"he might be as soon as he hears what people are calling him after you guys got kicked out of the library," she laughs.

i furrow my eyebrows. "what are they calling him?"

she fights a smile. "they're calling him giggle bitch."

i gasp a little, my mouth turning up into a smile.
"they are not! you're such a liar! who's they?"

"everyone on campus knows ethan, morgan. so obviously when the guy who barely ever cracks a genuine smile gets kicked out of a library for giggling like a little bitch, people are going to make a big deal out of it."

"okay, we didn't get kicked out for laughing—"

my words are cut off by devin and peter joining the table, looking at me like i just found the cure for cancer.

"you did it, morgan. you're my hero," devin slings his arm around my shoulder.

"what? why?" i laugh, utterly confused.

"ethan has been ridiculing me since we were 14 years old. i just want to personally thank you for finally turning the table on him."

"oh come on, guys," i roll my eyes, shrugging off his arm. "i haven't heard a single word about it. you're all just being dramatic."

the sight of ethan walking hurriedly from the buffet table with only an orange in his hands makes my stomach flip, especially when a kid from two tables over yells, "hey giggle bitch!"

his cheeks flush and he's clearly flustered as he puts on an even face and sets his dark eyes straight for me.

"run," peter whispers to me, nudging my shoulder. "trust me, you should go—"

"morgan," he's now standing above me. i can't decipher his voice.

i swallow, trying not to look nervous. my eyes glance over to the group laughing and still talking about the nickname.

"heyyyy... giggle bitch," i reach up to lightly punch his stomach.

josslyn and devin snicker while peter sucks in a sharp breath. he glares at all of them then turns his attention back to me.