You Expect Me To What!!

Kagome continued to stare at me her eyes pleading for answers. Answers I couldn’t give her not if I could avoid it. The words of our pact all those years ago of never keeping anything from each other ran through my head over and over again like a broken record.

            My Mother’s ringtone intruded the awkward silence that fell over us. I motioned to my phone she knew the ringtone just as me. I knew Kagome would understand my Mother only called when it was urgent and she needed to get back home immediately or whenever she knew I was in trouble or distress. I sent a prayer to the sky for the bond I had with my Mother. I slide my phone screen to answer, “Hey Mom what’s up?”

            Even though she tried her hardest I could still hear the worry and anxiety in her voice, “Oh thank heavens you’re alright Amaterasu. I felt my heart breaking and my hair raising I thought something horrible had happened to you. Are you all right is there something wrong with Kagome? Did she get hurt again in the Feudal Era.”

            I gave Kagome one last glance but I saw that the mutt was already trying his best to comfort her. As much as I wanted to be there for my friend right I couldn’t not without telling her the truth. I walked away towards the woods. My voice becoming flat and emotionless, “Sorry for worrying you Mom. I forgot that you could sense when something is up. Kagome is fine for now.”

             I could tell that my Mother was one word away from running through the front door and towards me, “What do you mean for now? What is going on Amaterasu?”

            I stared into the trees wishing for once I could turn into my full demon self and just run and continue to run. But that wasn’t possible at least not now it wasn’t, “Mom I ran into Inuyasha Kagome’s boyfriend the son of Dad’s old friend Inu no Taishō. The stupid mutt opened his big trap he referred to me by my title Princess Amaterasu of the North Region. You know I never told Kagome the truth about who and what I really am.”

            Even though I couldn’t hear it her voice I knew she was holding something back, “Oh my dear Ama I’m so sorry. It’s been so long since we first came here that I had completely forgotten.”

            What the hell was my Mother keeping from me? I couldn’t hold back the anger that was rising within me, “What did you forget Mother what!?”

            My Mother hesitated answering me but I soon heard her sigh through the phone, “Ama the reason Inuyasha had referred to by your rightful title is because you Father must have already decided to move forward with crowning you as the next Queen of the North Region. We had agreed that once you turned eighteen you would return to the Feudal Era and take your rightful place as the next Queen. You’re also expected to….”

            Her last words trailed off. I was beyond way pissed off by this point my Mother had kept something this big from me all these years. I wonder what else she has been keeping from me. I yelled into my phone, “What else Mother what else am I expected to do!?”

            Her voice was low but I was still able to catch the few words that she said, “You’re expected to marry your chosen mate Sesshōmaru. Iuyasha’s older brother the Lord of the Western Region.”

            I felt my whole world crashing around me at my Mother’s words. This whole time I had thought I had a say in how I would live my life. Not once knowing that my parents had already planned it out for me. The only reason my Mother had let me be a troublesome and wild child these last fifteen years was because she knew that I’d be forced to return to the Feudal Era to become Queen of a kingdom I haven’t stepped foot in for most of my life and be forced to marry and mate someone who I once considered my best friend until I was told he had become heartless and emotionless.

            By this point my Mother was crying and her voice was weak. It ripped at my heat knowing I was the cause of it, “I’m so sorry Amaterasu I wish I could change it but your Father and I had made this agreement with Inu no Taishō and Inukimi when you were born. That you would be their son Sesshōmaru’s mate in the future bringing the two regions together. You two had seemed so close and the young demon dog seemed to care for you deeply he was always by your side your first three years before we were forced to come here.”

            I do remember being close to Sesshōmaru when I was a little pup but that was long ago. The boy I had once called my best friend and possibly even came to love was long gone from what Kagome has told me. I could never marry least of all have a mate who was heartless and only cared about nothing but power. I felt myself closing myself from my Mother as all trace of emotion left my voice, “I’m not coming home tonight Mother. I need time to think. Don’t worry I’m not mad at you, you were doing what you thought was best for me.”

            “Amaterasu please don’t pull away….” I didn’t hear what else she had to say as I clicked end shoving my phone back into my pocket. I needed time to think things through. Even though I knew I didn’t have a choice but return to the Feudal Era sooner or later. But I did have a choice in how things were going to turn out between my best friend and me.

            I turned west heading towards the shrine where Kagome’s family lived. I better tell her the whole truth while I still had the strength to before I chickened out and was dragged back to the Feudal Era and letting her find out by seeing me in my humanoid form. I just hopped she would understand why I never told her the truth about what and who I really was.

            I grabbed my phone from my pocket typing a quick message to Kagome: Hey sorry about earlier. Look there’s something important I need to tell you. I’ll meet you at your house in a few minutes.”

            Kagome replyed quickly so she couldn’t be too mad at me or so I thought: YOU HAVE A LOT OF EXPLAINING TO DO AMATERASU!! I’LL BE BACK BY NIGHTFALL I HAVE TO MAKE SURE INUYASHA GOES BACK TO THE FEUDAL ERA ND STAYS THERE.

            I was slightly grateful that the mutt of Inuyasha was such a pain in the ass. He would give me a bit more time to figure out how I was going to explain everything to Kagome. I continued my way through the woods towards Kagome’s home.

Inukimi ~ Is the name I choose to use for Sesshōmaru’s Mother it means “dog ruler” or “dog monarch”