See You Again

The next few days were pretty uneventful. My coworkers enjoyed hearing about the interview. Although I didn't mention I stayed longer. The women tried desperately to hide their jealousy. Their fake laughs were like masks of the harsh words they secretly wished to say to me.

Elvis didn't call. It's not like I really expected him to. I had hoped he would though. I didn't tell my parents that I gave him our phone number. They would've waited in anticipation, when in reality he was probably never going to call.

It was Friday afternoon and James and I were going to look at a house we were interested in moving into. This was the only Friday that we've had the day off in a long time. We agreed to stay in Memphis forever, hopefully. We hoped that this house would be suitable enough to become our home. On our way to the house we were going to look at, we passed by Graceland. I found myself staring at the place I had been just days ago, it had felt like a lifetime. I wondered if he was there. I wondered if Priscilla and Lisa Marie returned yet. Even though it was just right there, it seemed like an untouchable universe way up in the sky.

"Did you know the city is changing the street name to Elvis Presley Boulevard?" James asked glancing toward the grand home along with me.

"Oh really?" I asked. This was news to me.

"Yeah, it's pretty cool." He said. Graceland was behind us now. I pushed the thoughts of Elvis out of my mind quickly. Soon enough we arrived in front of the house. A man and woman stood on the porch waiting for us, smiling. They introduced themselves and took us in to tour the place. Two stories, four bedrooms, two bathrooms, (one on each floor.) Regular sized living room, kitchen, dining area, and a laundry room. It was so spacious, and the more I saw of it, the more I loved it. They led us to the backyard, and it was the perfect size. The whole place was absolutely perfect, and I could tell James liked it too. The man and woman left us alone in the living room to talk it over. "Do you like it?" James asked me, hopeful.

"I love it."

"So this is the one?" He asked grasping my shoulders in excitement. I grinned and nodded in enthusiasm, and he embraced me in a bone crushing hug.

"I'm so happy, Cassie." He whispered. "I can't wait to start a family with you. This house will be perfect for us."

I pulled away and looked into his dark brown eyes, and gave him a kiss.

"I love you." He mumbled.

"I love you too."

We then went for lunch to celebrate. The happiness was practically radiating off of us. There, across from me James Rowe was my ideal man. Everything about him was everything I imagined him to be when I was a teenager fantasising about my future husband. His looks were above average, with his brown hair that he always kept perfectly clean cut, his brown eyes that matched. He also wore glasses. He looked a lot like Buddy Holly, and I gave myself a pat on the back for finding this incredible guy. I secretly had a small obsession with Buddy Holly. May he rest in peace.

James is a simple man, he enjoys simple things. He was kind, caring, and sometimes funny. (When he wanted to be.) Whenever he tries to be funny, it turns out to be funny. He puts effort into it, anyway.

"I forgot to tell you, I'm going out of town for the weekend." James said taking a sip of water.

"Oh." I said feeling a little disappointed. I had thought we were gonna spend the whole weekend together. "When do you leave?"

"Tonight." He answered. "It's a business trip. Too bad its on the weekend, but on the bright side I'll get paid more."

I nodded. I hated feeling needy, when I really wasn't that kind of person. It's just we haven't gotten to spend much time together since summer started. We both worked, we had other priorities. The business trips James had to go on were becoming more and more frequent. Which left me with nothing to do except work.