Chapter 3 - Recollections Return

Turns out, later meant more than a day.
"Teresa, do you think we can trust them?" We have been together for two days now and I've taken more injections and pills then I can count.
"I don't know, Cara...I just want to see Thomas again." She said as she bit her fingernail.
"Is he your boyfriend now?" I said with a cheeky smile in an attempt to lighten the mood.
"I don't think so. We haven't kissed yet," her cheeks turned red.
"Have you and Newt kissed?"
"Yes. A few times now actually." Now we're both red.
"Are you sure it's just a few?"
We giggled to ourselves like little girls. But before I can reply two doctors approached us and led us to another room.

Within the room there were two separate divisions and inside each was a reclined chair. What I noticed though was the tight bands around where our arms and legs where to be positioned. I gripped Teresa's arm and gave her a look of alarm.

"What are you doing?" Teresa questioned the doctors. But they didn't reply.
"Teresa?" The doctors were leading both of us into the separate divisions now.
"Car-" But they entered the other division before she could finish.

"Calm down. You're in good hands, Ms. Cara. Now sit down in that chair please. We have guards outside should you resist."
I looked around and realized that there's no chance of escaping this. So I obeyed and sat in the chair.

The doctor made me lean into the reclined chair and started strapping my wrists and ankles in.
"Wait what are you going to do?" I asked worriedly.
"Sweet dreams, Cara." Before I knew it, I felt an excruciating pain in my neck and realized that he just injected me with something blue.
"What-what is that?" My vision darkened before I got an answer. I fell into a deep slumber.

————

Memories came flooding back to me. It felt like I was dreaming but I knew for certain that I was actually remembering.

The flare. A deadly brain-eating virus that has swept over the world.

We need a cure.

We haven't found one yet.

Parting with Newt before he was sent to the maze. Kissing him goodbye.

Minho ruffling my hair and telling me it's gonna be alright before he was also sent to the maze.

Having coffee with Teresa and Ava Paige. An all-girls team to find a cure she said.

But why? Why am I working for WCKD?

My childhood. My family.

My dad, his soft green eyes, his brown hair and his olive complexion. A rifle in his arms.

"What are you doing, Daddy!" I rushed to him tears in my eyes.
"Your mom- I-I think she's infected, baby." He stuttered as he made his way to the room at the end of our hall.
"Where's Miles?!" I clung to his shirt as I looked around for my baby brother.
"Stay back baby. Stay there baby."
Someone was banging loudly on the door at the end of the hall. My mom's inhuman shrieks echoed through the house.
"What are you doing, Daddy??" I cried and cried as I stood in the hallway.

My dad opened the door.
My mom came running out - her body, contorted in odd angles, her once blue eyes are no longer there. She clawed them out. Her golden hair which I inherited was now tangled and bloody.
And my baby brother Miles - mutilated parts of his body lay around the floor. Blood was everywhere.
And a loud bang.
Daddy shot Mommy.

"NOOOOO!!! Mama! Mama!!!!" I cried and ran to her already rotten corpse.
"Shh-shhh. I'm sorry baby. I'm sorry. I had to. I'm so sorry! Oh God-Honey.. i'm so sorry." Daddy smelled like lemon grass and blood. He cradled me in his arms and shielded me from the bloody scene. But I've seen too much.

Guards swarmed our house. People from WCKD came. Ava Paige herself, a younger version of her was also there. All I heard was the words "Case #3" Someone took me from my dad but I struggled and wrestled. I refused to be separated from him.

"Daddy!!! No!!!" I clung to him with my little hands.
"They'll take care of you okay?? Baby listen to me. Be good. Ava Paige is my friend. You hear me?? She'll take care of you from now on. Alright? I love you. I love you. Don't forget that baby." He kissed my forehead before prying me away. Ava Paige took me away. And I heard a gun shot before our house went up in flames.

More memories came back. Memories of working for WCKD. Memories of Newt even before the maze. And Ava Paige. Me and Teresa practically being raised by her. How we were doctors hell-bent on finding a cure before being sent into the maze ourselves. How we sent dozens of kids into it.

I woke up with the most painful headache. My sight was still blurry. I didn't feel like myself.
"Welcome back to WCKD, Cara." The doctor told me before I lost consciousness once again.