Chapter 6

I slowly walked down to breakfast. I didn't want to be anywhere but with Maxon. I walked into the dining room, and when I saw the king, I fought hard to keep from frowning.

"Ah, Lady America. So nice for you to finally join us." He said, "Do you mind telling me why you're late?"

I put on a fake smile, "It was nothing really. I just lost track of time. My apologies, Your Majesty." He threw me a dirty look, and I sat down. After I spent the last 20 minutes of my morning cleaning up what he had done to his own son, I no longer have an appetite. Maxon walked in five minutes later. He stood next to me and whispered quietly,

"Eat darling. He can't know that you know." I nodded and Maxon walked over to his seat. I saw how slowly he sat down as to not strain his back and he didn't dare sit on the seat completely. My heart hurt for him. Nobody should have to go through this. Ever.

I saw the king raise his hand and clap Maxon on the back and saw Maxon try his best to hold back any kind of reaction. There was a smug look on Clarkson's face and his son subtly struggles to make the stinging stop. I picked at my food, mainly just moving it around the plate, feeling too sick to actually eat.

"Is everything alright, Lady America?" The king asked. I realized that I had been staring at Maxon through the whole interaction

"Yes." My voice cracked, "Perfectly fine."

"Spectacular."

"I think I'm just going to excuse myself up to my room, I have a slight headache and I think being away from the lights might do me well right now." I said, "If that's alright with you, your majesty."

"Actually-"

"Yes, that's quite alright, dear." the Queen said, interrupting her husband. I got up and shuffled out of the dining hall and up to my bedroom. I sat down on my bed and screamed into a pillow.

"America," Maxon followed me upstairs and he barged into my room and ran over to wrap his arms around me

"I hate it here. I wish I could just take you away. Bring you to Carolina with me. Away from your father. I wish I could save you."

"Then just stay and keep fighting. That's how you can save me."

"Maxon, I mean it. I wish I could do something."

"You are doing all that I need you to do. You're here and you love me. I need nothing else."

"I'm sorry I rushed out of the dining room. Seeing your dad hit your back pushed me over the edge. I had to leave before I said something to get us both in trouble."

"I appreciate you leaving then."

"If I had said something, what do you think would have happened? He wouldn't be able to get away with anything because everyone would know."

"Yeah, but let's not test that theory. He is still the king and no matter how hard people would fight back, at the end of the day, he gets away with whatever he wants."

"Its sickening."

"I know."

"What kind of person thinks that it is okay to do what he does?" I threw my hands up

"The king."

"Yeah."

"Let's talk about something else."

"Christmas. It's in a few days."

"Two days."

"Where are all of the decorations?"

"My father doesn't like when the palace looks too festive. He says it looks unprofessional and-"

"Unprofessional? It's Christmas. It's not just some random holiday."

"That's what I've been saying all my life, America. And my mom agrees with me its just-"

"He's the king and it has to be done his way."

"Exactly."

"No. I refuse to let Christmas come and go like this. I'll talk to my maids and they'll talk to the other maids and we will have this palace looking like a winter wonderland in no time."

"He will hate it."

"Good."

"He feels threatened by you."

"I'm aware."

"That doesn't bother you?" He asked, sounding confused

"No. It means that I'm just better than what I was supposed to be. He had three fives in the competition to make it seem a little more random than it actually was. He expected all three to be gone around the third elimination. He never expected someone who he though so little of to make it this far. And if that scares him, then good. He needs to be scared."

"Your actions have consequences." He calmly reminded me

"Let me take them. They're my consequences and if he wants to hurt you or me for some decorations, he's even more psychotic than I thought. It is Christmas and I won't to let it go ignored."

"You are trouble, America Singer." He pulled me onto his lap and I wrapped my legs around his torso

"You love it, Maxon Schreave."

"I do." He gave me a quick kiss, "So we're actually doing this?"

"We? Do you want to help?"

"Obviously I want to help." He smiled, "Let's make the palace look like a wonderland, darling."