Chapter 18

Chapter 18: Fast track to recovery

"I know you didn't have any bad intentions…" you told Akatsuki, who was curled up on the couch.

"But you can't take control of either of us like that." Selena said.

"I didn't know what else to do…" Akatsuki replied softly, looking to the side.

"You don't need to be so anxious about everything." you replied. "Unless both of our cores are destroyed you'll be fine."

"Perhaps you can isolate our reactions from her? I think she responded to your brain waves more than the words." Selena said.

"Probably…"

"You idiots!!"

As you were trying to work out how to do what Selena had proposed without impeding Akatsuki's experience of her surroundings the girl began shouting, jumping out of her curled position. She was looking at you strangely but crossed her arms and averted her gaze soon enough.

"You can't do that!… I mean… if you get hurt I won't have a way out of here." she said with a small scoff. "And if she gets hurt I'll be stuck in the school building too much."

"Heh. She's definitely taking from her original host." Selena laughed.

"Which just proves my point." you replied. "Besides, I can't have you hear our thoughts all the time. It'd just make you socially inept." you replied.

"But…!"

"As much as they stings, I agree." Selena interrupted. "I would hate you acting like I have to act around that princess from Luxembourg after getting a separate body."

Unfortunately you had to be a little inconsiderate. Chances were only having her own thoughts would be helpful in the long run. But it seemed condescending to do so. And unfortunately Akatsuki was still at that age…

"Don't treat me like a kid!" Akatsuki said, probably knowing what you were just thinking about her.

"This would work on me. So hear me out. Do what we're suggesting for a week. If you feel like returning to this arrangement afterwards I'll do it and I'll admit it wasn't a good idea."

The girl agreed and you began working. It took a few minutes but you saw Akatsuki tilting her head and looking around. Selena had already left the core network to see if you had succeeded. Meanwhile you decided to try some other things.

Your research had been focused on freezing and reversing the core to its base components. Now you wanted to try facilitating the "first shift" Tatenashi had observed. Unfortunately you only managed slight tweaks. In the end there was one way through which IS evolved. Desire and danger.

"Laura and Tatenashi will kill me..."

Timeskip (a few days later)

You had escaped to the wall of the academy after your usual therapy. The initial plan had been to try jumping off the wall in the same place you had before, but that was honestly a little extreme. As such you had resigned yourself to basic walking attempts, using the wheelchair as support.

There was at least the advantage of no one really being around to see you. After all you still had some pride to preserve. And the place made for a nice change of scenery.

Which was soon ruined by the appearance of Charlotte and Cecilia, judging by the IS that materialised below. You hoped that they were simply practicing but the ferocity of the ensuing battle showed otherwise.

You were forced to lay on the ground and crawl to avoid falling as the walls began shaking from the girls' attacks. And to make things worse Akatsuki showed up.