Learning Experiences

Is short. No care.

New cover is included on banner. Is doodle from time ago. Have.

xXx

Pelair's heart pounded as he struggled to keep up with the flurry of blows barraging him from more directions than he realized were possible. He was already exhausted, and as a punch landed in his gut, he was ready to collapse. The only thing keeping him on his feet was sheer stubbornness-- and the fact that he couldn't fall fast enough to hit the ground before he was launched in a new direction by his opponent.

His shoulder slammed into the wall, and he rolled to the side to earn the chance of respite.

"You're slow," Branch said, never stopping his ceaseless path of motion. His hands waved slowly through the air as he stepped forward, back, and around. "You have to anticipate--"

"I know," Pelair panted, clutching his bruised ribs. "I'm trying, okay?" He straightened stiffly, narrowing his eyes with determination not to take any more of a beating. Studying his mentor, he tightened his hand into a fist and wiggled his fingers to settle them more comfortably into the cloth hand wraps protecting his knuckles.

Branch drew in a slow breath as he fell out of combat mode and into Dad Mode. "Is something bothering you? You're more distracted than usual."

"I'm fine." Pelair lunged forward to attack Branch.

His mentor easily sidestepped the attack. "Clearly not. Training is over." Pelair huffed and brushed himself off. "What happened? Are you frustrated with your teachers again?"

"No." He crossed his arms.

"The other kids?"

No answer.

"You know they're just taking out their problems on you. They don't know how strong or brave you are."

"Brave for what? Watching it happen?"

"For getting up every single day after it happened and deciding to keep pushing through." Branch knelt in front of his ward. "If I had been through half of what you have at your age, I don't know if I would have made it."

Pelair glared at the ground. "It would be so easy to just give them what they deserve."

Branch smiled. "It's because it would be so easy that it makes it so amazing that you haven't. I'm proud of you, Pelair. You need to know that."

"Knowing you're proud of me doesn't make them shut up."

"No, but it reminds you that none of what they say is true. Hurting others makes them feel like they're better, and you know that it's because they need to feel better. For all you know, they feel like you do when they get home. What sets you apart is that you don't make fun of them for it."

Pelair pouted. "You're really hard to feel cruddy around, you know that?"

Branch patted his shoulder, smirking. "It's what I'm here for."