Prologue

Parker

4 years ago

The sound of soft rain pattering against the wall of the castle filled my ears. Small droplets dripped down my hood and onto my forehead. Wiping the water away, I moved quickly, pressing my body against one of the outer walls. I checked the time, 1:56 am it read. I looked around, checking my surroundings, but there was no sign of my partner. I turned to face the wall, assessing the nooks and crannies. Carefully, I slid each hand into the cracks in the brick.

I threw a leg over the top and looked down at the ground below me. There were four guards in total, surveying the area. I pulled a knife from my belt and waited patiently until one of them was directly below me. With a check to make sure my face couldn't be seen, I dropped. The guard crumpled with ease, breaking my fall. The other four guards' heads snapped my way and they came running.

I quickly punched the closest one in the nose, making him stumble backwards like a rock, clutching his face. The second guard dove for my torso, attempting to tackle me. I slid to the side, letting him run headfirst into the wall. The first guard was blundered towards me, but I threw my knife at the buffoon.

As I turned towards the other guards I saw a glint of silver. I moved to the left, but not quickly enough. The side grazed my shoulder, making me hiss. When I looked up, the guards had advanced, trapping me against the wall. I swore under my breath, angered that I didn't just kill them before.

Before I could even blink, one of the guards was falling to the ground, a knife in his neck. The other let out a shout, but faster than you can say "fuck you" he too was lying on the ground. I looked past the dead bodies, scowling at the man standing there.

"You're late," I said, pissed off that he could not arrive on time.

"Come on love, it was only a couple of minutes. At least I was on time for my daily dose of saving your ass," he chuckled. And even though I couldn't see his face, I knew he was grinning.

"Let's just get this done already," I grunted.

"Alright you go-"

"Yes, I know the plan," I interrupted him. "I distract and you steal." He nodded at me and we went our separate ways.