Chapter Fifteen - Ghosts Aboard

WPOV

The sun was turning the waters red as it rose. The rain didn't cease as we navigated through the thin inlet, which was only barely wide enough to fit our ship. Leo shouted warnings and instructions to the rest of us, and that night was the only time I'd truly experienced seasickness. It didn't help that Gabriel's ship approached steadily behind us even as we steered our ship down a short river, into a body of water where channel, ocean, and river water mixed, and finally into siren territory.

Nico said that the sirens would be farther down the channel, so we didn't have to be locked up quite yet. Gabriel's slow progress was getting to Nico, I think. He rarely left his cabin anymore, and when he did, it was only to check to make sure we couldn't hear the sirens yet. Hazel and I took turns bringing him his meals. His confident manner from before was deteriorating before my eyes. It was like looking at a ghost.

No, not like looking at a ghost. It was like he was everything except a ghost. Like his spirit was gone and only left behind the shell and skeleton before me.

Nico told me at lunch on Thursday that he'd give us three more days before Gabe caught up. Then, we were goners. He hadn't been able to buy us enough time.

We were going to lose.