2 - Marinette / Lady Bug

Marinette checked her phone for the time, and realised that she was early. A welcome surprise, she'd been so out of it lately, and had almost forgotten about meeting Kagami this afternoon. Ever since she'd been akumatised months ago, the two had become much better friends, calling each other and texting often. Marinette had realised how lonely Kagami was, and she was glad to bring a little respite to her friend.  

Propping up her chin, Marinette tried not to think about how exhausted she was. Instead, her thoughts wandered back to Kagami and...Adrien. 

It had been hard at first, learning that Kagami had a crush on Adrien too. But Marinette saw how happy they both seemed together, and she didn't want to be the one to ruin that for them. Besides, it was high time she got over her crush on Adrien. She obviously wasn't able to tell him how she felt, so... she needed to move on. 

She'd been hanging out with Luka more often, and she really enjoyed it. He was sweet and kind, and he was super supportive of her. She liked being his friend, and maybe even...more than that.

But then the Akuma attacks had increased, with a new one every day it seemed. It had become almost impossible for her to juggle being Ladybug with being Marinette. She forgot birthdays, hangouts and tests. Her grades had begun to drop and even her ever-patient parents were getting annoyed with her. Worst of all, she'd begun snapping at Chat Noir. 

Marinette hadn't meant to, it just happened. She felt awful every time, and she'd taken more than a few hits while trying to apologise to him. He always seemed to forgive her in the end, but she'd noticed he'd become more quiet, less puns and jokes. 

"Marinette? What are you thinking about?" Tikki asked from her purse.

Marinette tried to stop her trembling lip, "I snapped at Chat really bad the other night. I mean, he seemed fine last night but I feel awful. I can't apologise enough."

Tikki put a tiny arm on Marinette's hand, "Chat Noir isn't really the type to hold grudges, I'm sure it's fine. It's been stressful for both of you lately."

"Yeah, I wonder how he's doing. Wherever he is," Marinette sighed.

Tikki didn't respond though, instead disappearing as a black limousine pulled up near the café. She recognised it as Adrien's car, and wondered what he could possibly be doing there, when Kagami and Adrien stepped out of the car. 

Marinette dragged herself to her feet to greet her friends. Kagami pulled her into an awkward hug, while Adrien smiled and gave her a short wave. She returned it, wondering what he was doing there. She certainly hadn't gotten over all of her feelings for him, but they were no longer as strong, and she didn't feel the usual rush of adrenaline while seeing him again

Kagami gave her a not-at-all-subtle look and then pointed to her phone. Marinette checked her phone quickly to see that there was a text from her. 

They sat down and ordered three milkshakes while Marinette checked her phone. 

Kagami - You are a good talker. Please help me talk to Adrien. I don't think he likes me.

Marinette could have laughed at the ridiculousness of it all. Her? A good talker? With Adrien?  Okay you can do this Marinette you've just–

"Everything okay Marinette?" Adrien asked politely looking down at her phone.

"Oh yeah. Just my...mom checking that everything's all good!"

"Ah...okay then," he didn't look convinced, and looked between Kagami and Marinette. They fell into a bout of silence, where Kagami kicked Marinette's shin – she was stronger than she looked.