Stars (Underground Levi x Reader)

Song:
Call Of Silence - Hiroyuki Sawano

Living in the Underground, you never saw the sky, clouds, rain, sunlight, stars. But you had always dreamed of seeing what it was like above, breathing in the fresh air, feeling a light breeze, having the sun bathe your skin, and most of all—you wanted to see the stars.

People who lived above ground took everything for granted, down here you had to be a criminal or lay down and die. You chose to be a criminal. You joined Levi's gang—you, Levi, Isabel, and Farlan became extremely close. You and Levi started dating a while after you joined, Isabel was like your little sister, Farlan your older brother.

Yes, you were technically a worthless criminal in the eyes of many, but you didn't have a choice. You tried to see yourself as something more, after all everyone has to live life drunk on something, it's the only thing that keeps us going. Everybody has their reasons, their explanations. But yours were nothing complex, your dream was painfully basic—seeing the night sky and all the luminous stars was your reason. The stars were your sign of freedom, a simple reminder that everything runs deeper, that there's more that lies beyond our seemingly simple world. That at last, you weren't trapped, not anymore.

———————————————————

While you were on a job, the Scouts came into play. You originally thought they were the Military Police but then you saw it— The Wings Of Freedom, but what the hell would the Scouts want with a bunch of lowlife criminals? You tried to outrun them but you looked back at Isabel who was now in the grasp of a Scout, and in that exact second you were tackled and restrained. They brought you, Isabel and Farlan to a tall blond man and threw you onto the ground making you kneel before him.

The blond man's name was Erwin, Erwin Smith. He promised that if you joined the Survey Corps you would be free from punishment of all of your crimes, or you would be handed over to the Military Police so they could beat you to death. Levi made the impossible decision to join them.

————————————————————

You slept away from Levi, which you weren't used to as you normally slept snuggled up to him. But you weren't completely alone, your barracks were pretty full and Isabel was in the bed next to yours. She snored, loud. It was actually kinda funny—one of the girls threw a pillow at her head to get her to shut up.

You spent your days going through regular training but not much was needed as you were already familiar with ODM gear. No one really talked to you, they seemed distasteful of Erwin's decision to bring 'Underground stuck ups' to the regiment. But, one person did take a particular interest in you—Section Commander Hanji Zoë. They asked questions, a lot of questions. But at the end of the day, you couldn't care less because you felt so free.

——————————————————

You sat at the dining hall, waiting for a moment to slip away from Hanji, they had been talking to you for the entirety of dinner. This was your first night ever outside of the Underground. And you were itching to see the stars. Finally, Moblit—a poor guy who was unfortunately placed as Hanji's assistant dragged them away. You were ecstatic, you ran down the halls not allowing yourself to look out the windows you passed, you ran up the stairs and finally—you saw the stars.

They were....so bright. So very bright, you quickly paced over to the ledge forgetting that it was a ledge and almost fell, but you felt something pull you back, "That was close," Levi chuckled, if you weren't so infatuated by the way the stars lit up the night sky you would have been shocked at Levi laughing.