i

And then I found me a lover who could play the bass

He's kinda quiet, but his body ain't

Spend the days dreaming and the nights awake

Doin' things we know we shouldn't do

James threw the final jumper into his bag messily, grinning wildly. This is it! James thought. The marauders on vacation!

Sadly though, it'll have to be without poor Pete. His mother wanted him home for the holidays. But, hell! James is lucky just to have Sirius coming with! Sirius and Regulus are still shocked that Walburga and Orion allowed them to accompany the Potters on winter vacation.

Although, Regulus has taken to exclaiming his shock far... moodier. Reggie only agreed to ask his and Sirius' mother to get Sirius off his back. He didn't, however, expect his mother to say yes.

James hasn't seen Regulus outside of supper times since they arrived at the Potter residence on Friday. Seeing as it is now Sunday, and they are preparing to leave, James has almost entirely forgotten of Regulus' existence.

He might've had a better shot at completely forgetting the younger Black's presence if Sirius wasn't so vocal with his excitement about his brother's presence.

"James, sweetheart! Everyone else is ready to leave!" Euphemia's soft voice echoed through the house, bouncing off the walls and into James' ears.

James swung his pack onto his back before hollering back to his mother—possibly a bit too loudly.

"Coming!"

With a spring in his step, James bounced out of his room and down the stairs to some of his favourite people. This was gonna be the best winter break yet!

"Alright, everyone has everything they need?" Mrs Potter asks the room as she ushers each of them out the door. A chorus of 'yes ma'am' and 'yes Mrs Potter' sound through the air in response.

"Good boys. Now get in the car."

And with that, James Potter, Remus Lupin, and Sirius and Regulus Black pile into the backseat of the Potter's car. Being there were only three seats in the backseat, Regulus ended up squished between his older brother and old childhood crush.

James Potter's thigh pressed firmly against Regulus's, radiating heat. His shoulder bumping James' everytime they hit a bump or pothole—so often—James Potter talking animatedly to his best friends while Regulus tries to keep his eyes off his lips.

His soft, moist lips, raw from James constantly chewing on them. A habit of his that Regulus noticed in his third year during a cold, snowy day in the Three Broomsticks.

Shit. Maybe that old childhood crush isn't that old.

Regulus could feel his breathing go ragged by the way James' hand is so delicately brushing against the exposed skin of his thigh. If it just drifted a little to the—no, nope, not again. Not the time. He's not doing this for the whole car ride.

But his hand is so warm, his fingers calloused and rough.

James, completely oblivious to Regulus' ragged breathing and internal struggle, puts his hand fully on Regulus' thigh to brace himself as he throws himself towards Sirius. Trying to get him in a headlock—why James thinks he can get Sirius in a headlock with one arm, Regulus is unsure.

Regulus' breath hitches, his heart pounding in his chest as James' fingers splay on his leg, oh so close to a certain wanting appendage of his.

"What do you think, Reggie?" Sirius' voice pulls him from his stupor.