Chapter Eight

"Hey Reiner, I want some sweet candy," I nudged his shoulder as I munched on the loaf we shared. He chuckled and only nodded in response.

   "We don't have many days off. It's nice to be outside like this." I took a break from chewing my food, gazing up into the clouds.

   It was beautiful in town today. So peaceful and warm, I just knew that Clara would've loved it. I imagined her playing tag with her friends. If only I had been stronger, faster, more agile, I could've saved her. It could have been us here now, fighting to become better soldiers. Better people, and happy.

   "Is something wrong, Y/N? You seem upset." Reiner raised his hand to my cheek, cupping it. I blushed, not realizing my eyes had teared up.

   "Just thinking of Clara. She would've loved the weather today." I smiled gently, giving him a closed eye smile.

I jump up and clap my heads together, ready for our next adventure. Reiner continued to sit with his hand floating at where I sat. I held onto his wrist and ran to the next spot, this time making him keep up with me. I thought about his new nickname for me, Princess. I had to give him one too. Something equally as sweet but yet sassy like Reiner. I thought it out as we ran past the crowds and shops.

Reaching the next street over, there was way fewer people. It was almost quiet and a beaten down path had led us to a simple pond surrounded by trees. Similar to our spot from the training area. There was absolutely no one in this part of the brush with green and birds the only surrounding area.

"Y/N, what happened to wanting something sweet? You were practically begging and now you've dragged me to the woods." Reiner lightly chuckled while I finally released his hand. I blushed at the joke and even he looked a little red. Maybe even from the contact we shared just a few seconds beforehand. The heat on my face grew hotter at the idea that Reiner would even be thinking of that. He did call me Princess though, and I wonder if I called him something. Maybe Prince? Or would that be too much. Every Princess wants a Prince and every Prince needs a Princess so it makes perfect sense. Obviously!

"Oh, I was just looking for the perfect spot to take my Prince and show him how to properly skip rocks." I winked at Reiner hoping he caught on to my new nickname for him. Maybe, maybe not. He was athletically gifted but didn't have the best marks in our class.

"I don't need you to show me because I'm a master at skipping rocks. Check out these cannons right here" He quickly flexed his muscles before finding a flat, smooth rock and throwing it roughly into the pond. It quickly sunk. My hands immediately went to cover my smirking mouth. Oh how embarrassing to be so cocky and not back it up.

"Well, Master, it's all about your wrist movement." I gently flick a smaller, round stone into the pond and it slowly sinks after making 2 skips. Reiner stares at the final resting place of the sad stone he threw earlier and frowns.

"Well if you hadn't grabbed my wrist so tightly earlier to bring me here I obviously would've done a better toss." He rubbed the back of his head and began searching for an even better stone than his first.

"Also, don't be so sly when you call me a prince next time, my Princess." Reiner smirks in my direction and tosses a tiny jagged rock that was deemed no good for tossing at me.

"Ouch, that was a sharp rock you butthead! Watch it!" I ran up to him and gave him a push before skipping the few rocks I held in my hands. We spent the rest of the day like that, making jokes at each other's behalf and me trying out all types of new names for him before I settled on one. It was amazing to be with him in that secluded spot, just the two of us. I think it was time for our relationship to change, even take the next step.

A/N
I would really like to thank everyone who has stuck around. I'm sure for those who have been here since I first started writing have been wondering where I am. I'm in the Army and honestly we have been training so hard and often lately that it seems like just more work to write. Obviously I have no idea where I'm going with the storyline but I do want to somewhat follow the anime. I really appreciate the comments to keep pushing me to write and the votes you have put. I'm so sorry that I haven't dedicated more time, it's just hard with life and such. I really hope each of you have a lovely day and I'm glad you are reading this. It really gives me motivation to continue on especially because work is stresssssful. See ya next time, I'll try to update soon 🥰❤️💝