Chapter 5

The later it got through the day the more I struggled to concentrate on anything but what had happened. I even stopped talking to Vincent -which was unnecessary and unresolving-

      "I really stressed him out..." I whispered to myself. My hair getting uncomfortably unkempt the further I rested my chin on the counter in the store, moving my bottom lip out with a huff to blow the thin strands away from my eyes.

      "What's up?" Vincent asked me calmly as he leaned on the counter, gazing down at me with an expression I couldn't bear to look at.

      "I just feel a little guilty. You were so much better." I chuckled weakly, pulling my hair down over my eyes.

      "I'm just level headed, Aldie. Why do you feel guilty?" He moved his hand which I was already paying attention to, placing it on my back gently and moving it up.

      My body tensed too much to give off any indication of how much I actually liked that. "Aha ... simply because I was the one who caused that reaction..." I sighed, leaning up to prevent from blushing.

      "Don't worry, I think he just gets easily flustered." Vincent took my hand in his own, my heart skipping a subtle beat as I smiled up at him, feeling a bit faint.

      "And of course there isn't anything wrong about that... but I shouldn't have been touchy."

      "True, you really are naive to some situations and hints." He said in amusement with a light and short laugh, causing me to look away in embarrassment.

      "Aha ha ha ha... seriously, I haven't a clue how to take hints." I managed to contain any resentment I had towards him for saying that straight faced, moving round the counter quickly and pacing to the library, eager to remove myself from that situation.

      Vincent only started to clean the store, but seeing the sun already dimming behind all the buildings really made me question why. "Hey, Vincent? . . You could go home now if you'd want?"

      "Mm? I haven't finished." He looked at me over his shoulder.

      "I'll finish. It's my store anyways. Go home and get some rest, you come
here early enough." I smiled at him brightly though mainly wanting him out for my own selfish reasons.

      "Alright, make sure not to beat yourself up on this. It wasn't your fault."

      I glanced at him finishing putting things away in the back before walking over to the front. "I know I know... I'll stop worrying eventually, but I'd rather some clarification that it wasn't that bad by someone other than you..."

      "Of course. Get rest, have a nice evening." He waved at me gently as he began to walk out.

      Only once he officially left did I allow myself to melt into one of the lounge chairs, kicking my feet stressfully. He was too ... nice, and perfect. Too perfect to work in an old antique store such as mine at least. And all my attempts for acknowledgment failed me so miserably that I couldn't even face him, which was the opposite of what I'd been trying...

      I was ruining my self image...

I had been far too distracted to understand any of what had unraveled the previous day, which apparently led to the situation of  my being shaken awake by Vincent the next morning, which was surprising on its own due to how much he didn't prefer going upstairs to my house, let alone my bedroom to specifically wake me up. But with further inspection, not only on his lovely expression but my whereabouts as well, I realized ... I had fallen asleep downstairs, on the merchandise... So in complete embarrassment, naturally, I turned sharply away to press my face into the chair, letting out a stressed whine.