17} Bribes Are Always Accepted

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Low" By Cracker

Chapter Seventeen: Bribes Are Always Accepted

 Calvin shuts his eyes in annoyance as Sutton blows the paper cover from her straw on his face. Slowly turning his head he glares at her, jaw clenched as she gives him a beaming and all too charming smile. I watch his face closely; interested to see how he‘s going to defend himself against that whammy of a look.

Rapidly his glare drops and he wraps his arm around her neck before bringing her over to kiss her forehead with a sigh. I smile at the scene but from the devious little grin on Sutton’s face she knows exactly what she just accomplished. Rolling my eyes I pick up another sausage link from my plate and nibble on it.

“Oh shit!” Sutton suddenly yells getting attention of half the diner.

“Can you at least pretend you weren’t raised in a biker bar and keep your voice down?” Lou drawls from beside me.

Sutton ignores her brother and turns to me. “Emmy do me a favor and learn to put your hoe in line. Gotta keep that pimp hand strong if you want to him to respect you.”

I choke on the food in my mouth and start coughing. Sutton starts laughing really hard while Calvin chuckles and Lou glares in her direction. Once my airway is clear I feel my already red face go a little redder around my cheeks. Damn my fair skin and its ability to make me look like a constipated cherry!

“You good?” Calvin asks with a grin.

I nod before grabbing my nearby glass of lemonade. Feeling it soothe my throat I let out a sigh as I peek towards Lou out of the corner of my eye. His arm slung on the back of our side of the booth with a far away look in his eyes as he looks out the nearby window. I frown a little at his expression. It’s the same distant look he had at the tattoo shop yesterday and that worries me.

“Emmy? Woo hoo! Are you listening?”

I snap out of my thoughts and look over at Sutton, “Huh?”

Her eyes flicker to Lou for a second before she meets mine again. “I asked if you were up to a party tonight. Kate texted me about some house party at Mason Tiller’s house tonight, supposedly his parties are 'the bomb'. What do you think?”

I shrug feeling my stomach drop at the idea of a party.

“Lou? Do you want to come?” Sutton asks her brother.

“To a house party for high schoolers?” He asks with a raised brow. “I’m pretty sure that’s not my scene.”

“You went to the bonfire.”

“That wasn’t originally for high school kids, you all just kind of invaded.”

I bite my lower lip wondering if that’s his issue. Is it because I’m in high school? Sighing heavily I look around the diner. I really shouldn’t assume things, especially if it’s going to make me a nervous wreck.

“Whatever.” Sutton dismisses. “So, Emmy, you in?”

“Sure.” I sigh, unable to come up with an excuse she’ll buy.

“Great! I’ll text Kate back now.”

I nod my head but I’m not feeling the enthusiasm she is. The last party was okay because I had Lou to keep me company. Carla and Tommy had split pretty early and Sutton was all over Calvin from the minute she spotted him. The selfish part of me hoped Calvin wouldn’t be coming because then Sutton wouldn’t abandon me like the sheep lead to lions.