Before Tomorrow Came (JJ x Topper)

Third Person POV

Topper threw the now empty can to the sand, stumbling to the water a little less than graciously. He just wanted to feel something. To feel loved, to feel warm, to feel totally encompassed by something. If Sarah didn't love him, didn't want to hold him to her, the ocean would. It would surround him, hold him, make him feel light. It would make him feel.

At least, that's how Topper reasoned the suicide mission.

With Hurricane Aggie swiftly approaching, the water was anything but the calm and warmth that he needed. With the rough tides and, unbeknownst to Topper, the strong undertow coming in, he didn't stand a chance being weightless in the unforgiving sway of the sea.

"Aye!" Someone screamed from further up the shore, catching the intoxicated boys attention for a millisecond before he reverted back to his original course. He stumbled closer to the waters edge, toe-ing his shoes off just before the tide could reach them.

"Dude, stop!" The unknown but oddly familiar voice seemed to be growing closer, not that Topper cared at all. He wanted to be held. For his tears to mix into the salty water. To feel like he wasn't drowning in his feelings anymore.

"J-jus for a– a second-d." He whispered the response, completely drowned out by sound of crashing waves. Topper walked into the chilled water, the burst of cold on his thighs slightly jolting him. He was too far gone.

"Yo! what the fuck, man?" JJ said loudly as he saw the unknown figure entered the water, completely ignoring his previously shouted warnings, obviously.

Fucking kooks, man.

Don't ask JJ what this guy was doing in The Cut. It was beyond him why a kook would be in the Cut passed 9 o'clock. Let alone, trying to go for a late night swim in the midst of a hurricane pre-gaming party.

JJ took off towards the guy, seeing him walk further into the unforgiving lull of the upset ocean.

"Shit, shit, shit." JJ mumbled to himself as he pulled his shirt off, diving into the water after seeing the guy's head leave his view. JJ swam to the surface for a gasp of breath when he felt something oddly cloth like bump his leg, diving back down and pulling the man up to the breathable atmosphere.

"Fuck, heavy ass bitch." JJ mumbled again, seeing the unconscious body laying limp in his arms. He pulled the man to shore, laying him down far away from the tide. JJ held his hand in front of the man's nose and mouth, feeling for some sort of shift in the air to let him know he was breathing. Not to JJ's surprise, he wasn't. JJ tilted the mans head back, the best he could assume was far enough on the almost pitch black beach.

"I usually am a consent guy, so bare with me." JJ mumbled yo the unconscious man again, beginning CPR compressions on his chest and then blowing air into his mouth after 10 of them. He repeated the process again before the man lurched forward, unknowingly regurgitating pungent salt water into JJ's open mouth. The man coughed and sputtered on the beach, leaning to his side to puke up the rest of the water on the sand and not onto JJ, thankfully.

JJ spat out the water quickly, familiar with taste after swallowing probably as much as he'd surfed on.

"Jesus. For a second, I thought I lost you." JJ said to the man, resting his hands on the tops of his thighs as he sat next to him. The man chuckled sadly, laying his head back against the sand.