Prologue

September 5th, 1813.

My family moved to Baile Coille, a remote village of Ireland, when I was ten years old. Since the second day of living here, I have heard stories of a strange creature that haunts the surrounding woods. My investigation began as a hobby; while playing with peers, I was warned not to go into the woods; when asked why, they recounted rumors they'd heard from their parents. Rather than the fear they had expected to inspire, my mind became fixated with curiosity.

Since then, I've interviewed all who have claimed to have seen it, and kept a record of their testimonies. Upon review, I have reason to believe this creature is not of ancient legend, rather quite a new phenomenon; sightings only date back to six months before my arrival. The descriptions given by multiple people do not contradict each other; they all agree, the beast has the body of a lion and horns protruding from its head. It runs on all fours but may stand and walk on its hind legs if it so chooses. On such occasions, it has been seen using its front paws almost like hands; huntsmen say they've seen it quickly dismantle their traps with careful, seemingly calculated, movements. The animals of the forest appear to be unafraid of it; birds will sit upon its horns willingly and preen its fur, and when seen traveling, is often accompanied by herds of deer and other wild fauna. However, it seems not to have any companions of its own kind.

Over the years, some changes in description have occurred; older sightings say it was five feet tall, with horns only an inch or two long. The more recent ones, however, say that it is nearly eight feet tall and its horns, which have grown to roughly twelve inches, twist up and behind its head like that of a ram. Recent sightings also mention a striking mane of long, dark fur, not unlike that of a male African lion. Based on this information, my hypothesis is that all accounts are technically correct, and the changes in the creature over time are the results of its maturity.

Though nearly everyone can agree on its existence, no one knows of the creature's origin. Father August, a catholic missionary, believes it could be the devil himself. To his disapproval, the elders and other believers of ancient folklore revere it as a spirit of nature, a sacred guardian of the forests. I have made speculations myself; it could, possibly, be a living relic, like the canadian moose; one of the last living species of megafauna hailing from the Ice Age. Perhaps, it is of such a reclusive nature that its kind has remained undiscovered by humanity until now. Both could simultaneously be true; its cautious and intelligent nature could be why its kind outlived the wooly mammoth and other great behemoths of old. Whatever it is, I intend to discover the truth behind this beast.

I've been preparing for this journey for many years, and though I've been quite thorough in my research, planning, and preparation, I cannot help but feel a slight sense of anxiety. Tomorrow, I shall finally set out to see this creature for myself.

-Rosabelle de Porte