2 Exodus

Outside of the closed doors leading to the massive banquet hall, I handed Elena her bouquet and she took it with shaking hands. I placed my own over hers in the moment she reached for them and whispered. "You're going to do wonderfully. And then it's happily ever after."

She smiled at me and gave a nod before turning back to face the doors. Her father sauntered over, looping his arm through hers, and whispered something in her ear. She didn't respond but rested her head gently on his shoulder before the muffled music began. I took a breath and a peek over my shoulder at Ada. She was standing straight, bouquet held rigidly in her white knuckled grasp. Nothing could sober you up faster than marching down a long aisle in front of hundreds of people.

Ada and I went first, making our way to the front and standing off to the side as everyone stood to welcome the bride. I couldn't help but smile as those elegant double doors swung open and a proud Mr. Edward Langley stepped into the hall with his stunning daughter on his arm. She had been beautiful in the dressing room but here, the smile on her face when her eyes met that of her beloved, she was the most gorgeous bride I had ever seen. I felt eyes on me all of a sudden and I turned to see Alexander watching me, a smile on his face. I turned away but he kept watching. I wished he wouldn't.

Mr. Harrison was near to tears by the time he accepted Elena's hand from her father and the ceremony was underway. It went smoothly, both of them fighting to maintain their composure as they professed their love for one another in front of their friends and families and made their vows to feel the same way forever. Before I knew it, I was waiting as Ada took the arm of one of Mr. Harrison's business school friends and I stepped forward to meet Alexander.

As the best man and the maid of honor, it was expected that we walk the length of this hall arm in arm, smiling happily for the two people in our lives who had just pledged themselves to one another. Though it was just a part of the ceremony, my heart still nearly leapt from my chest when Alexander's arm made contact with my own. I gripped him loosely as we stepped off of the dais, making our way toward the back of the room.

"You look beautiful," he told me, smiling as he did. "I didn't have the chance to tell you earlier."

"Thank you," I answered, fighting to keep my voice steady. "You look handsome yourself."

"Charlotte, I'd like to speak with you. Before the morning. I-it's important."

We had reached the end of the hall. I separated myself from him the moment we could no longer be seen, sliding away from the doors and away from him.

"Of course," I told him quickly, striding to Ada and placing my hands firmly on her shoulders. "Definitely. But, if you'll excuse me, I need to make sure this one is sobered up for the reception."

I did not give him the chance to respond, choosing instead to push Ada forward, down the hall back toward the dressing room.

"Hey! Let go of me! Where are we going? Charlotte!" Ada was hissing as I dragged her, by the elbow, back down the hall. Eventually, she dug in her heels and came to a stop, yanking her arm free and staring at me. "What's gotten into you, Lottie? Where are you trying to take me? You know damn well I'm back within my right mind."

The effect of her words were diminished by the way she swayed a bit on her feet as she spoke. I raised a brow.

"I've had enough to drink, sure, but I'm still perfectly in control of myself," she relented, blowing a loose strand of hair from her face and meeting my gaze. "Now, what's this about? Why are you yankin' me down the hall like some sort of misbehavin' tike?"

I sighed. "I'm sorry, Ada. I just... I was worried that you were still a little too... well, I was worried that you might make a scene."

"We were already out of the ceremony. And everybody's gonna be drinking at the bar or talking in the parlor while the servants flip that ballroom for the reception. No one's gonna notice what I'm doing in all that hubbub."