7

"We need to get you a boyfriend," Paisley stated while laying across Hadley's back on the bed.

"Why's that?"

"Because it's sooo much fun."

"Mmmm it didn't seem so fun last week when you came over here in complete mental anguish over your boyfriend," Hadley retorted.

"Well, sometimes couples fight. We don't always agree and sometimes I overreact, but for the most part, it's fun. And the sex is an added bonus."

"I'd rather not think about you and Beck having sex, thanks though," she said sarcastically.

Paisley laughed and rolled off Hadley's back. "Seriously though, we should find you a man."

"I'm good," she replied. Which was very true. She had no desire for a boyfriend. Sure boys were cute, but she never wanted to date one or kiss one. There was nothing special about them that made Hadley feel like she wanted to share any part of herself with them, sexually or otherwise.

"Ugh, Hadley. You're 16, there's nothing wrong with testing the waters, even if you don't sleep with them."

"I just don't want to Paisley. I've never told you to stop sleeping with boys or to stop dating them. So why are you so persistent with the idea that I have to start dating?"

Paisley looked shocked at Hadley's attitude. Hadley had never spoken to her so intensely before.

"I'm sorry, Hadley. I didn't realize it bothered you so much."

Hadley shook her head. "It's fine, I just don't want to talk about it."

In reality, there was a boy that she thought about frequently. One boy who occupied her mind 24/7. Except, he was not a boy. He was a man. A fully grown man who she shouldn't have these feelings for. That man would be Clay.

She knew she should not hold those feelings for him. He was her caretaker, her guardian, a man with mature tastes. Whereas, she was a 16-year-old human girl. It was radical and inappropriate to develop a crush on a man much older than her and he was her provider, nonetheless. But she couldn't help it.

She wasn't even sure why she developed these feelings. He would most definitely never be attracted to her. He was a mature man, attracted to mature and established women, the antithesis of herself.

Hadley looked up when the front door opened, seeing Clay walk through. He took his jacket off and laid it on the back of a chair. Then he walked into the living room toward Hadley who was laying on the couch.

"Hi baby," he greeted when he came close to her. Then he gripped the back of the couch and laid down on top of her.

"Mmmm," She groaned when his entire body weight pushed down against her. "Are you trying to kill me?"

"Definitely," he replied before picking himself up off her, sitting down on the couch, and placing her legs over his lap.

"What do you want for dinner?"

"I was thinking we could go down to the dining room. They are making a turkey dinner tonight."

"Alright," Clay said while nodding his head. "You have to promise you'll finish writing your essay when we get back, or else we will be staying here and I'll make you brussels sprouts for dinner."

Hadley wrinkled her nose at his words. Brussels sprouts were the worst. "I promise," she said, not wanting to tempt him in any way.

On the way down to the dining room, Hadley leaned into him more than usual as they walked together. She was almost obsessed with being near him and maintaining a physical touch. She was hyper-aware of his arm and calloused hand resting across her back. She was essentially hyper-aware of him.