40

The drive to George's house was unbearable. You didn't know what he was going to act like. In fact you didn't even know if he would be home.

You went over a thousand times in your head what you were going to say to him but it seemed useless at this point. No matter what you said in the end, it would always be down to what George wanted to believe.

You gripped the steering wheel anxiously.
"Why is he even acting like this?" You thought. But deep down you already knew why.

You began to get frustrated. You really liked George and cared about him a lot but then you drunkenly kissed Lando and probably screwed up any chances of the two of you actually becoming something more.
"How could I have been so stupid?" You thought and huffed in frustration.

You finally arrived at George's house and jumped out of the car, almost tripping over in the process. The sight of his car relieved you that he was home so you hurriedly walked up to the door and knocked a few times, only to get no answer. You tried again but to no avail, the door still didn't open.

"Come on George, please open the door. I need to talk to you about this." You knocked again.
"I know you're home, your car is still in the driveway."
You knocked for the 4th time.
"Please just let me talk to you. I'm so sorry okay? It was a mistake I-" You paused as you swallowed the lump in your throat. "I never meant to hurt you... I really do care about you George." You waited for some sort of response from him but once again, you were disappointed.

You slid down the front door in defeat and buried your head in your hands.
"Why do I even bother..." You whispered sadly. You leant back against the door and stared out at the driveway, wondering what to do next.

Tears threatened to escape from your eyes as you sat there hugging your knees to your chest but before you could let yourself break down completely, the door suddenly swung open.

You fell backwards as it opened and looked up sheepishly to see George hesitantly standing there.
"Come in." He said reluctantly.
You blinked up at him in surprise before hastily following him inside.

You followed him over to the living room, where he sat down on the edge of the sofa, and stood in front of him to say your piece. You shifted your weight from foot to foot awkwardly, not wanting to meet his eyes. You felt so guilty about what you did and you knew if you looked into his piercing blue eyes it would break you.

You opened your mouth to speak but suddenly it seemed as if your mind went blank. You went over what you were going to say so many times in the car but now that you were here, every word you memorised seemed to had fallen out of your mind.

You wracked your brain for something to say but in all honesty, you didn't want to say anything. You just wanted to hug him and know that everything was okay.
"Look George I-" You tried to start but George cut you off as he stood up.
"Actually Harper, can I say something first?" He asked and you nodded.

He drew in a deep shaky breath, almost as if he was preparing himself for something.
"I like you Harper." He said suddenly. "In fact I like you a lot, maybe a bit too much." He looked at you sheepishly. "I'm sorry for how I acted. My behavior was pretty childish." He said apologetically.
You stopped to process what he had just said for a second.
"Hang on, you're sorry?" You asked a bit confused.
"Yes. I know what happened was a shock to all of us but when I saw you sitting outside my door almost in tears I just... I felt horrible." He rubbed the back of his neck guiltily. "You were right. The least I could've done was text you back."

You looked up at him in shock. You couldn't believe that he was apologising to you after all that had happened.
"I'm not gonna lie... I was pretty annoyed with you this morning." You laughed dryly. "But I did come here to explain so that's what I'm gonna d-" George pressed a finger to your lips cutting you off.
"You don't need to. I realise now that the kiss was just a mistake." He paused momentarily. "Clearly I don't handle jealousy very well." You both laughed, relieved that the tension between you had now dispersed.

"I really am sorry for what happened though." You told him.
"Don't be. I'm just glad we cleared this all up." He smiled at you.
"Me too." You smiled back.

As you smiled at each other, you gazed longingly into his eyes only just realising how close the two of you were actually standing together.
"George..." Your voice was merely a whisper.
"Yeah...?" Your lips were only centimetres apart now.
"I like you too." You smiled.
In a moment your lips met in a soft and tender kiss. You had been dreaming of this moment for months and it was just as amazing as you had imagined.

His strong arms wrapped around your waist protectively and you moved your hands to cup his face, deepening the kiss. You never wanted it to end.

Eventually you broke apart and leaned your forehead against his.
"Wow..." You breathed staring into his eyes.
"That's one word for it." He replied still smiling at you.