Tyrion Lannister X Stark!Reader - How A Heart Unbreaks

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'How A Heart Unbreaks' by Evermoist from the movie 'Pitch Perfect 3'. In this story, Tyrion travelled back to King's Landing with the Starks rather than going to Castle Black. I hope you all enjoy it.

"Get this," you murmured, your words muffled by the rim of your cup as you took another deep drink. "He goes: 'I'm just not sure you're ladylike enough to raise my children.' The little prick has the audacity to say something like that to me," you grumbled, pausing when a small hiccup slipped out of you. "I just as ladylike as the other women at court," you added, taking a deep shaking breath. 

Your maid had been looking rather uncomfortable from the moment you had dragged her out of your chambers this evening, with the simple aim of raising your own mood. But, as soon as you'd begun drinking, you'd only seemed to grow gloomier, huddled in the corner of the tavern and ranting quietly to her about your latest predicament. Sure, she felt bad that your betrothed had called off your engagement, but the louder you got the more she wanted nothing more than to drift into the crowd and abandon you to your miserable evening. 

If your father had ever discovered that you had gone to a place like this, the punishment would be unending, and you could only imagine that your maid would take a brunt of the blame for leading you astray. 

"He never loved me," you added, resting your head against the wall behind you and letting out the softest of sighs. "I don't think he ever even intended on marrying me in the first place. He always went on about how Southern women were so much better behaved-"

"I'm going to get you something to eat," your maid suddenly rushed out, causing you to sit up and shoot her a glare.

"I'm in the middle of-"

"Lady Y/N," a familiar voice interrupted you, and in that moment, you suddenly spotted Lord Tyrion standing beside your table, a small smirk on his lips. "I wasn't aware you frequented these sorts of establishments," he continued, nodding for your maid to make her hasty escape towards the bar. 

"I don't-"

"And yet here you are," her uttered, his face softening when he spotted the red tint around your eyes. "Your father told me about your engagement to the Tarly boy," he added, sliding into the seat across from you and offering you a kind smile. "I would say it was a shame, but Dickon seems about as pig headed as his father, and I can only assume you'll end up married to someone far better."

A snort of laughter bubbled out of you. "With an engagement broken off for no good reason, I doubt I'll have suitors lining up for my hand," you muttered, shaking your head. "Do you know what sucks?" you asked, your confidence doing somersaults from the alcohol in your system. "I didn't even like him, but it's still utterly broken my heart to know that he doesn't want me." 

Tyrion's smile faded at your comment, and he reached out to pat your hand lightly. "It'll get better; those bad feelings stop eventually," he told you, his voice so soft that you couldn't help but believe him. 

"I was hoping that I would be able to come here and have enough fun to forget about him for the night, but it turns out my only friends are the ones paid to care for me, and they can barely stand my company." You paused for a moment, shaking your head. "And Gods, my father would be so mad if he knew I'd come here unsupervised-"

"Well, you have supervision now, so that's one less thing to worry about, isn't it?" he interrupted, watching as you smiled at his comment.

"Don't take this the wrong way, My Lord, but I fear my father would actually find your supervision to be more of a worry." 

Tyrion let out a soft laugh, shaking his head. "I think you could be correct." With a soft sigh, he slipped out of his seat, only hesitating when your eyes went wide, your mouth dropping open in horror as you shook your head.

"I didn't mean to offend you," you blurted, your eyes pleading him not to abandon you amongst the crowd. "I'm sorry."

With a quick shake of his head, Tyrion was offering you another smile. "You haven't offended me," he uttered, his promise silent as he tucked the chair back under the table. "Come, I should get you back to the Red Keep before your father notices your absence," he added, watching as a mixture of understanding and relief flooded your features. 

*Time Skip*

The walk back to the Red Keep had taken far longer than it should have. You were dragging your feet the entire way, not truly wanting to return to the dense silence of your chambers. Tyrion had been sweet, not pushing you to move faster, just falling into step beside you and letting you take your time. 

"You'll need water at your beside," he murmured, watching as your brow furrowed in confusion. "You've been drinking, yes?" You nodded. "There's a chance that you'll feel unwell in the morning, water should help." 

You nodded again, unable to think of anything to really say. This was the nicest anyone had been since you had come to the Capital, and you couldn't help the uneasy feeling that came with it. Hells, even your sisters had been horrid since you'd arrived, bickering non-stop and drawing you into their disagreement with every breath. It was tiring, and lonely, and you hated your new home more than you had expected you would. 

"You know," Tyrion started again. "I keep wine in my chambers, if ever you need an escape from the mundane without having to leave the Red Keep." He paused for a moment, hoping he hadn't overstepped an unseen boundary. "It would be nice to have some company," he added softly, glancing in your direction to find a small smile on your lips. 

"I'll be sure to drop in some time," you told him. 

The two of you remained quiet after that, walking side by side until you reached the door of your chambers. 

"There," he uttered, breaking the silence as he smiled up at you. "Back home, safe and sound," he added, hesitating there for a moment as you unlocked the door. 

"Thank you for your help, My Lord," you started, the words sounding far too wooden in your voice as you attempted to find some way of getting him to stay. "I'm sorry, if this sounds far too forward," you added, cutting him off before he could say anything. "But would you like to come in for a little while?" 

"Y/N," he murmured, your name coming out like a warning. "If your father were to find out-"

His voice trailed off. "To find out what? That I've finally managed to make a friend in this Godforsaken place?" 

A small sigh fell from Tyrion's lips as he considered the proposition. In all honesty, he hated the idea of leaving you right now. He was just getting to know you, basking in the new, rebellious side of you he had never seen before. "I can only stay for a little while," he told you, watching as the most beautiful smile he had ever seen bloomed on your lips. 

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x