three; thinking of the future

Ava was right when she said she would feel better after lacrosse practice. She was slightly apprehensive that the other players, aside from Nolan, would still have some kind of issue with her being on the team with them. She found she was worrying for nothing when they apologised, making Ava relieved that it really was all to do with the Anukite that caused their disgust and fear towards her.

Practice went by without any problems, and Coach was clearly happy that the team had put all of their issues behind them because according to him, lacrosse is more important than anything else.

Coach dismissed the practice after informing them that would be playing against Devenford Prep that Friday night. It was currently Monday so Coach told them all that they would be having extended practice for the next two days with early morning and after school practice, with Thursday as a resting day before the game.

"Now, if we lose this, you all will be doing suicide runs until you die. Brutally. And painfully!" Coach exclaimed and waved them all off the field and ordering them to not do anything stupid to risk their chances at winning the game.

Ava was about to follow Corey off the field, but Coach held her back looking serious for the usually frivolous man. Corey looked at her curiously and she gave him a look and he disappeared but instead of following Nolan and the others, he went over to where Mason and Theo were in the bleachers along with Isaac who must have turned up at some point during practice which Ava didn't notice.

"So, Dunbar. I have some good news that I think you would like to hear." Coach said and he smiled again and put his arm around Ava's shoulders.

"I'm all ears, Coach." Ava said but she felt some kind of dread in the pit of her stomach from the uneasy expression that was previously on the man's face.

"As you know, it's the time of year for college scouts to come find the best of the best." Coach started. "And I may have a friend coming down to the match on Friday."

"Scott said that he'd never known of any scouts coming here before." Ava said.

"Well, just between you and me... you're the best of the best, kid." Coach said honestly. "And no offence to McCall, he just seems to always have a lot on his hands. And I don't think he could cut if professionally, he has the potential but what is it he wants to do with his life again... something with animals-"

"A vet." Ava said, biting her lip and trying not to laugh.

"Exactly." Coach said and clapped his hands once. "But you... with your baby face, are the best I've seen in years. Besides myself in my old days."

"Thank you, Coach-" Ava started but Coach Finstock interrupted her holding his hand up.

"Now, don't go getting all big headed. Stop it." Coach commanded. "I can see what you're thinking. But, yes, I have a scout coming on Friday. So you better not mess this up."

"Okay." Ava said with a small smile. "I'll be ready."

"But there's bad news as well." Coach said, now taking on the serious expression from before.

Of course there is. Ava thought to herself and looked over towards Theo, Mason, Isaac and Corey, all of whom were clearly trying to listen into the conversation she was having.

"So, I'm guessing you know that ever since you became a student here, the coach from Devenford hasn't came to any of our games with them. It was always that assistant coach. And I know you had a bit of trouble with the coach and something with a car." Coach began explaining and Ava realised what he was trying to say to her, and she was pleased that he was trying to be subtle rather than his usually blunt self.