Chapter Twelve

Just an hour later you found yourself crouched down against the massive window, sobbing so hard that you could barely find time to breathe between jabbering away to your mother about everything that had transpired over the last two days. You went through every excruciating detail, from the time that you had considered Kylo a friend, to the discovery of Hannah's secret, to the fact that Hannah had both attempted to sexually assault you and threatened to kill you. Instantly you were thrown into another panic, and decided the only thing that could calm you was your mother. As you finally brought your speech to a close you took in another deep breath and let out a few more sobs, wiping your eyes with your arm and staring down at the wooden planks beneath you. Behind you the cold from the window shocked you, but you were convinced it was the only thing grounding you at the moment so you pressed yourself harder against the window and waited for your mother's reaction.

"Oh, Clover," Your mother signed heavily. Clearly she was just as devastated as you were, and you knew she would be among the only people that would understand you and your feelings toward this matter. "Baby, I'm so sorry. Obviously you care about your boss so much. This is just devastating." You had finally calmed yourself down enough to have a clear conversation with your mother, and you decided then and there while you weren't crying to hurl your most important question to her.

"Mama, I don't know what to do. What do I do?" Your options seemed limited, but you still couldn't think straight enough to just decide. You just wanted your mother to tell you, to answer all of your questions like a fortune teller. What was best for you? What was best for Kylo? What kind of punishment did Hannah and Hux deserve? It was all so overwhelming, and you needed your mother's guidance.

"Well, honey, I would think the right thing to do would be to tell your boss," Your lower lip quivered and you fought against the urge to cry even more. You had known that was the right thing to do; you were just too afraid to do it. "But, but I know how badly you wanted this job and how much you're enjoying it. I think you have every right to be afraid of Hannah, and I honestly think Kylo deserves to know. She's threatening his employees, and from what you've told me he cares a lot for your health and safety too." She sounded so sure of herself, and it did make you feel better. However, you still had your objections.

"But, mom, I, I'm scared." You said as you bunched your shirt into your hand. You tried so hard to hang onto your tears. You had to keep it together if you were going to get through this, and you were determined to reach some kind of resolution with your mother today.

"I know, baby, I know," She cooed. Knowing your mother you knew she was hurting and wanted nothing more than to hug you, and you wished she could have been around to hold you too. "She doesn't have a right to threaten you like that. I think you need to say something." You sat all the way up, ran your hand down your face and moaned in frustration. Your mother was right. This couldn't go on.

"How do I tell him?" You asked her, nearly begging for answers. She was, perhaps, the only other person you trusted with his information because she had no way of going behind your back and telling Kylo anyway. Sure you had your old friends from highschool and beyond on Facebook you could go to, but after living back at home for two years and then moving out of state you could say you had no real close friends you could confide in. At the moment, all you had was your mom, and you knew you were safe to pester her about it until you came to some kind of conclusion.

"Telling him face to face would be too hard, I know that, Clo. Why don't you try to text him, or writing him a letter? Something formal where you wouldn't have to be around for the aftermath?" She offered. You blinked as that sounded reasonable to you, but even still you were so nervous.

"That sounds easy, but I'm still afraid for my job, mom." You continued to press your fears only to be met with an ominous silence on the other end of the line. Your mother sighed frustratingly, but you recognized this as a sign of defeat. She likely had no experience with something like this, so she didn't know what to tell you. It wasn't what you wanted to hear, and you could feel your resolution slipping from your fingers.