Chapter 7: A phone call

Chapter 7

Finnick's P.O.V.

I've been avoiding Katniss a lot. It's not because I don't care about her anymore. She's the sister I never got. It's just, I don't know how to protect her, and that makes me feel useless.

I want to be able to protect my sister. But I can't. And knowing that she hurts herself and I can't stop her or tell anyone is really hard.

Why didn't I just stay in my sleeping bag that morning? I woke up and saw that Katniss green sleeping bag was empty and went looking for her. Why did I do that? If I hadn't, I wouldn't know and everything would be just as it was before.

We're standing outside the classroom. Katniss is looking bad. She's pale and she has a hurt expression on her face.

Everyone is now looking at her, it looks like she could faint at any second. I feel that Peeta's body is tense beside me.

"Katniss sweetie how are you?" Annie asks, putting a hand on Katniss arm.

Katniss looks around at us. She has notice how we're all watching her. She tries to make eye contact with me. I look away, I jut can't look her into her eyes, I can't I'm too ashamed that I can't help her.

"I..." Katniss looks desperate and Peeta tense even more. Then her expression changes, she get an expression of giving up. "Fine! Fine, I'm not okay! So you can all just stop asking me, because recently I've never been okay, and I probably never will be! I... I can't do this anymore!"

She turns around and runs away. Peeta takes a few steps to follow her but I take a hold of his arm.

"Dude you haven't talked to her for months, I don't think you should follow now", I say.

"I..." He sighs. "You're right".

I know Peeta that hurts,but I think he's been pretty unfair to Katniss. It's not like he told her how he feels and that she knew about it.

I see that Annie has tears flowing down her eyes.

I pull her into my arms and keep her close.

"I wish we could do something to help her", she says.

"I know", I say. "Me too".

"Does anyone know what happened to her?" Madge asks, sounding desperate. "I only know that she broke up with Timmy, but she would never let it effect her this way, there has to be something else".

Madge is right. Before Katniss got all depressed, she was this happy and strong girl. She would never let anything like a breakup effect her this way. I know, I'm her brother. Okay not exactly but yeah I am, in everything but DNA. I know Katniss. I know her too well.

"We'll talk to her after school", Gale says. "I'm sure she just went home to get away from us".

Maybe our questions finally became too many. I hope she doesn't think I hate her or something for avoiding eye contact with her. I just don't know what to say to her. I don't want to make her angry or upset. I want to help her, but it's hard when I don't know what happened to her.

The teacher comes and opens the door. We all walk in. We take our seats and look at Katniss empty place.

"Where's miss Everdeen?" The teacher asks. "Didn't I see her this morning?"

I raise my hand.

"Katniss felt sick, so she went home", I say.

The teacher nods.

I don't feel like sitting here when I can be on my way over to Katniss right now. To see how she's feeling. I think I know what she's doing now though. I think she's doing what she did in my kitchen that morning. I can't even say what she did. I can't say it. It's too awful.