Chapter 1: Drowning

Somewhere in the mountains of Kyoto

The walk to the shrine was pleasant for one young couple. A beautiful autumn afternoon, the last of the sun's light reflecting off of the damp cobblestone surfaces around them.

Mr. and Mrs. Hyoudou held hands lightly as they briskly padded along the leaf-laden path leading up to the shrine.

The peaceful splashing of the carp in the ponds around them, adding to the melody of bird calls and the clicking of cicadas, singing together.

They rounded another corner and were glad to see the shrine in sight above them. It was until they heard a sound that breached their world of serenity, a huge splash and a drowned out scream.

Turning instantly to the source of the sound, Mr. Hyoudou spotted the air bubbles breaking on the surface and the boy sinking deeper into the pond. Without a second thought he dived into the pool, resurfacing a few seconds later; the soaked boy and limp boy in his arms.

The Dimensional Gap

In the plain of nothingness two beings floated in space, "Baka-Red." A figure spoke, with an emotionless tone.

"Mhm..." The Apocalypse dragon let out a grunt and rolled his eyes at the Infinite dragon. She bore the appearance of a young girl in Gothic Lolita attire. Her head of black hair slightly covering her emotionless eyes and pointy ears as it waved about in an invisible wind.

"Baka-Red," she repeated, no change in tone whatsoever, "You sent the human child to Earth. Why?"

At the mention of the child, the Apocalypse dragon's eyes flickered with signs of surprise for a brief second, "Gnrnar..." The dragon's reply was a series of grunts and snarls.

"Interesting. He will not be like others of his species, he may be alienated by his peers." The Apocalypse dragon showed no signs of empathy.

"...thief." was all that the dragon muttered.

The Infinite Dragon God nodded her head sagely, "Indeed. For some reason, the human has stolen a portion of your powers subconsciously. We must watch over him." The Apocalypse dragon let out a dry snort in agreement.

Kyoto Shrine

The shrine maiden observed the boy closely, as the man and woman who had brought him looked to each other in worry. She quickly called for her young daughter, "Akeno, would you go fetch some towels?" The little girl nodded and turned to leave.

She was around the boy's age, with raven-black hair and amethyst eyes almost as bright as the gems themselves. Her hair was done into a short ponytail with an orange ribbon, just as her mother's was, and she wore a traditional red and white shrine maiden kimono.

The boy in question lay still on the soft upholstery bed, a small blanket modestly covering the bottom half of his body. The boy was around six years old, with spiky brown hair and lightly coloured skin, still damp from the pond. The boy wore nothing else except a large amulet draped around his neck.

Akeno soon arrived back with the towels and bowed shyly to the couple before retreating to her mother. Himejima Shuri was the head shrine maiden at the shrine in Kyoto, along with her daughter Himejima Akeno. They both lived at the shrine along with Shuri's husband.

Mr. and Mrs. Hyoudou watched closely as Shuri dipped a hand towel in water and draped it over the boy's forehead. He began to stir and soon his eyelids flicked open, revealing his hazel brown eyes to the world.

The boy rose quickly, speaking frantically in a dialect that neither of them could understand. He noticed the confused faces of the people around him and soon realised his mistake.

"W-Where am I?" His voice was barely heard by the couple, "W-What happened? I fell... then there was a man," At this his eyes shot open in sheer horror. He leaped from the bed and to her surprise, into the arms of Mrs. Hyoudou.

Akeno quickly hid behind her mother, frightened by the sudden movement. Shuri smiled warmly to the couple, the two them exchanging glances as the strange boy sobbed into Mrs. Hyoudou's shoulder.

After a few minutes of crying, the boy settled down and fell asleep still clinging to Mrs. Hyoudou's shoulder. The young couple laid the boy to rest on another of the shrine's bed and sat for some tea.

"So what is his name?" Shuri asked curiously,

"We have no idea, we found the boy in the pond as he is now... the only thing that he has with him is that amulet," Mr. Hyoudou replied solemnly while inspecting the amulet with wonder. Shuri nodded her head, "Do you think he has a family?"

"Somewhere.... probably," Hyoudou grovelled, "His parents probably abandoned him... heartless beings, whoever they are." Hyoudou's eyes flashed with anger as he said this, Mrs. Hyoudou placing a hand on his shoulder in order to calm him down.

Shuri nodded again, then gazed at the sleeping frame of the boy before looking back to the couple,
"He seems to have grown attached to you both... and, he looks exactly like you." The two Hyoudous looked to one another, then to the boy who had embraced them moments earlier.

"We... could adopt him?" Mrs. Hyoudou suggested. The two had married 3 years prior and hadn't had any children in that time. Mr. Hyoudou looked over to the boy one final time, then nodded in agreement.

"His name will be Issei,"

Dimensional Gap

"Strange. They took the boy in, even though he wasn't their own offspring," Born of nothingness the Infinite Dragon god Ophis observed the Hyoudous with interest. Meanwhile, the Apocalypse dragon couldn't care less and continued to fly around and perform aerial stunts in the air.

'Is this an emotion unique to humans?' Ophis thought to herself. She looked back to the Apocalypse dragon with an annoyed expression. It was then that the entire Dimensional Gap shook with great force.

A/N: This makes the second entry and the first chapter of this story! The story will come in short, but filling doses from now on, so look forward to more. With that, I'll cya in the next chapter... LasbAuthorArtist