Welcomed Change

There was a quiet knock against my door. I tried to ignore it at first, hoping the person would give up and leave if I didn't answer. But it continued on for minutes to my surprise. Sighing to myself, I grudgingly got up from the couch and approached the door. First, I looked through the peep hole before opening the door, checking to see who it was. My eye immediately recognized my neighbor, Sykkuno.

Honestly, Sykkuno's appearance shocked me. What was he doing here? And what did he want from me? It was pretty odd for a neighbor to knock on my door because people usually didn't like approaching me. I don't blame other people for not talking to me because I barely associate with anyone and I don't leave my apartment that often too. So, it's hard to find me and strike a conversation with me. I don't mind the peace and quiet that comes with no social life though. It allows me to focus on my music and other things. But I do admit that being by yourself is lonely. I still miss human interaction. So, that's why I was a bit more willing to open my door to a nervous looking Sykkuno.

"Hi Corpse! I'm sorry for knocking on you door so late." I just smiled politely and thought Its only 9:00 p.m.
"Don't worry about it, Sykkuno. It's not that late anyways," I tried to reassure him. He relaxed a little at my words and flashed me a thankful smile. "Did you need anything?" I ask.

"Well... about that.... uh," he stuttered nervously, not meeting my eyes. I didn't mind it though because I also have trouble talking to  other people. I just waited patiently for him to continue, not wanting to pressure him too much. Sykkuno took a deep breath to calm himself down, I assume.

"So, my apartment is currently under construction andIkindaneedaplacetostay," he rushed out quickly. His face was flushed in embarrassment and he looked almost...ashamed. "I know it's a lot to ask for, so it's okay for you to say no. I mean, you don't even know me that well so don't feel guilty if you can't. For all you know, I could be a murderer or something. So I completely understand if you can't. I can just find a motel or somewhere else to stay. I hope I'm not bothering you too much with my problems. Oh Jesus , I'm just rambling now," he said, his smile faltering. It looked like he was expecting me to reject his request.

Sykkuno always looked so happy, so seeing him looking dejected tugged at my heart. I mean, Sykkuno went through all the trouble of knocking and asking me to stay over. The least I could do was let him stay over for ONE night. Or however long he needed my mind added. It totally wasn't because I wanted to see Sykkuno's smile again. Or because the thought of him staying at an old and dirty motel repulsed me. I mean, he can take care of himself. I don't need to look out for his well-being or anything. But that's exactly what you're doing my brain supplied unhelpfully. Ignoring that thought, I mustered up the biggest smile I could.

"Sykkuno, I wouldn't mind if you stayed over for a night. My apartment is kinda messy though, so I hope you don't mind," I chuckled softly. Sykkuno's face immediately brightened at my words. His eyes sparkled with so much pure and unfiltered joy. His lips curled into a big smile and I felt a lump in my throat. Sykkuno cannot be real I thought.

"Really? You'll let me sleep over for a night, Corpse?" Sykkuno asked eagerly. I just nodded my head because I couldn't speak. Sykkuno's smile stealing my breath away.

All of a sudden, I felt Sykkuno wrap his arms around my neck in a hug. His head rested on my shoulder and he whispered a quiet "Thank you, Corpse." I could only wrap my arms around his waist as a response. Words were still stuck in my throat. I couldn't speak with Sykkuno's warmth against me and his soft breath caressing my ear.

It had been a long time since I've gotten a hug. Too long I thought. But it looked like the wait was worth it. Sykkuno's hug was full of sincerity and... warmth. I didn't ever want to let go of him.

We did part eventually, and I already missed his warmth. Sykkuno gave me a beautiful smile before saying "I'm going to go pack up some of my stuff for the night, so I'll see you in a bit, Corpse."
"Okay. I'll see you later, roommate," I replied playfully. I saw Sykkuno turn bright red at my words before walking back to his apartment. I couldn't help but feel proud that I was the cause of his blush. I've never had a roommate before because I usually like my privacy. But I knew that I wouldn't mind having Sykkuno over.

I'd say having Sykkuno as a roommate would be a welcomed change.