Chapter 3: Life Aint a Fairytale

Fairytales are meant to stay in books and dreams. It misleads you to believe that your life can turn into its very own fairytale. It leads you on and on only to break your heart and leave you hurt in the end. The happy, simple, and predictable fairytales are just a cover-up of how complicated, challenging, and cruel life is out in the world.

In high school alone, you are swamped and drowned with homework and tests you can barely keep up. Not to mention the cost of it on your mental health and emotional being. Keeping an active social life is also another part of the unsaid responsibilities of a high school student.

Sitting in the principal's office makes you really think about the meaning of life. I desperately wanted to just walk out of here, but being pulled out of the last class for the day made me intrigued about what exactly Mrs. Hilary Duke wanted.

The grandfather clock at the left corner of the room ticked as each second passed. I was sitting in one of the chairs across from the dark mahogany desk. I leaned back into the chair as I focused my attention on the sound of the clock.

The door burst open and a lady who looked to be in her mid-50s walked in. She wore a grey suit and her black stiletto heels clicked on the floor softly. Her reddish-brown hair was pinned up into a neat bun. Her face softened at the sight of me and she smiled.

"How are you today, Miss Wilson?" Mrs. Duke asked me. She closed the door behind her and sat on her chair that was on the opposite side of the desk.

"I am fine. Why exactly am I here? I don't recall doing anything wrong." I replied hesitantly.

"There is a reason I called you in today, Adelaide." She continued on. Judging from the tone of her voice and the use of my real name, whatever she has to say must be serious.

"What is wrong?" I asked. I had completely no idea as to what was so serious.

She stood up from her chair and walked around the desk. She faced me and motioned for me to stand up. I stood up slowly, unsure as to what exactly was going on.

"Can you remove your blazer, please?" She asked me with a hint of gentleness in her voice.

She watched as I took off my blazer. Then realization finally hit me, she knew about the exchange between Mike and me. Suddenly, I remembered how this place was crawling with cameras and security. Either she saw it herself or someone told her.

Once I placed my blazer down where I was just sitting, Mrs. Duke gently took my arm and inspected the hand-shaped bruise.

"I do not want to draw attention to this. I will ice it at home, do not worry. I do not want you to talk to Mike. I am pretty sure Sunshine won't let him get away with it anyway." I said as I put my blazer back on. I grabbed my bag that sat on the floor and headed straight for the door. The final bell for the day was going to ring any minute now and I do not want to stay under Mrs. Duke's scrutinizing gaze any longer.

"If you change your mind or need anything else, my door is always open. Stay safe, dear." Mrs. Duke said just before the bell rang. I gave her a tight-lipped smile prior to walking out and joined the throng of students in the hallway.

I walked the short distance to my locker before heading out. Opening my locker, a piece of paper fell to the ground. It was a note that someone must have slipped into my locker.

I KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT YOU, ADELAIDE.

I paled a little as I read the note. It was typed out in block letters, probably to avoid revealing the identity of the stalker. I stuffed the note in my bag before anyone could have a chance of getting a peek.

I continued on with what I was going to do. I put the books I do not need inside my locker and organized it a little. I closed my locker and saw Mike and Sunshine standing there. I jumped and let out a little yelp from my shock.

"Listen, Wilson..." Mike stated sounding irritated. Sunshine slapped the back of his head with a little force before he continued. "I am sorry for earlier." He uttered softly.

"It's fine," I mumbled as my phone received a text notification.

Sunshine gave me a little wink before leaving and dragging her brother along. Once they were out of sight, I grabbed my phone out of my bag and read the text. It was from Liam.

Gordon will pick you up today. He will meet you at the back entrance of the school.

I made my way to the back entrance of the school where, Gordon, our family's trusted butler was supposed to meet me. In a couple of minutes, a black SUV with tinted windows stopped right in front of where I was standing. A man with greying hair got down from the passenger's seat and approached me. He opened the door closest to me with a small bow. I looked around making sure nobody saw me and I got into the car.

"Thanks, Gordon," I muttered as he closed the door. Gordon got into the car and we headed off to who knows where.

I looked out the window as I got lost in my thoughts. The note somehow engraved itself in my brain. The words kept playing over and over again. I went over all the people who know about my double life. Nobody stood out. And I thought my life could not get any more bewildering. The car stopped by a set of familiar double doors. Home. To be more specific, the official residence of the Earl of Isla for the past five or six centuries.

"His Lordship is waiting for you in his study. Your brothers are there as well." Gordon said breaking me out of my reverie.

I nodded and handed my bag to the waiting arms of a maid. I ascended the grand staircase with one thought on my mind. What does my father want with me?

The sounds of my shoes echoing and bouncing off the walls as I walked briskly through the corridor. I removed my wig and the pins keeping it in place. I tossed it to Gordon as he walked behind me. I shook my brunette locks free just as I stopped in front of a set of big, wooden doors. The doors that shut my father's study to the rest of the house. With a loud knock and a faint 'come in', I throw the doors open and march in. My father was sitting quietly behind his desk.

"What is this all about?" I asked politely after giving my father a small curtsy.

—————————————————————————————
Oooooh. There is a mysterious anonymous note. So shocking and cliche at the same time. 

In all honesty, Addy's world is far too formal. I would die of embarrassment if I just stood in a room with all those people. Forget about talking, my posture would say it all.

If you enjoyed this, I shall bid you adieu until the next chapter.