Your Wings to Heaven

Feelings of euphoria swelled within me, with the sounds of the whistling winds in my ears. Flocks of birds, unchained by gravity, glide beside me, racing through the clouds.

Throbs of pain suddenly overwhelmed my adrenaline as my dwindling consciousness faded. My senseless body plummeted, as the winds do not show mercy on my battering wings.

I heard the fluttering wings of a bird. My obscured vision could see it was a pure white dove, soaring through the skies unchained and unburdened. I felt envious of the beautiful creature.

"Are you okay?" a perturbed rough voice called out as I slowly came into consciousness. My hazy vision saw a black shadow looming over me. Fear engulfed my senses, recalling the traumatic memories of that hateful place.

"I won't hurt you" the same voice mutters comfortingly as his hand pats my head. His touch felt warm and soothing, it was a sensation I only felt when I'm flying.

I landed on a hill overlooking a stupendous flower field with a 1900's windmill in the middle. I was amazed at the scenery, as bees and butterflies hover about, till one landed on the finger of the man beside me.

It was astonishing how angelic the man was. The glare of his light blue eyes, hid hints of grief, while baring unparalleled gentle kindness. His benign smile could calm even the strongest of winds and wildest of storms.

My wings were still out for the world to see. In a panic, I hurryingly tucked them away out of sight. The intense gaze of the man let out a feeling of concerning uneasiness.

The silence was broken at his gesture to follow; it was then that it occurred to me that he was bound to a wheelchair. Even so, I went along with the enticing stranger.

"On the passenger seat, there's a first aid box" he explains, unlocking the van. "Can you please get it down for me" he asks.

With endless weariness, I had cautiously carried out his request while at the same time, a part of me worried if I had hurt him. We were completely isolated in this deserted beautiful grassland, not a person could be found. My heart began to race at the possible danger I was in, that was till he softly grasped my hand.

It was weirdly calming, "Can you show me your wings?" he whispers. I was taken aback, I slipped back my hand. I was horrified at his question, as I feared the possibility of reliving my memories. With arms tightly drawn to my chest, I choked out through my trembling voice, "..N..o".

The man made no attempt to get close as I backed away, he only bore a small sympathetic smile. "I can understand why you find me so distrusting" he tenderly spoke, "But I can assure you, on my life, that I won't hurt you in any shape or form" he quietly promised.

As if on cue, the same dove I saw earlier flew from behind with the wind and landed on the man. The little bird as it rested upon his shoulder. He feed the bird a couple of berries from a bag he kept in his pocket, I felt the tenderness of his nature.

I breathed in, as I revealed my wings to him. His eyes filled with bewilderment, that I mistook for disgust, studied the wings. He unknowingly lowly uttered out, "...so...beautiful".

I moved closer to him and with every step his eyes took in everything he was seeing. Wings that could reach the heavens would bewilder any human. With a single swift flutter, I rested my injured wing on his lap as I sat on the floor with my legs drawn to my chest and my arms wrapped around my knees. I felt his fingers applying something cold but it eased the pain. He moved as if he was caring for an abandoned kitten, I took comfort at his gentleness.

"Thank you" I told him as I backed away. The man nodded in response, just as I was about to fly away, he called out to me, "Will I see you again?".