Dancing With a Stranger

She had always been told the stories. How at midnight on your eighteenth birthday your fairy godmother or godfather would appear. No one has ever told what happens on that night. Only that they will come.

She sat on the edge of her balcony railing, smoking a cigarette. Simply waiting for midnight to hit. When she was young, she had always been curious about what happens when the clock hits midnight, but now she seemed more uninterested than ever.

The loud midnight bells clanged in her ears as she smiled softly. She turned and climbed up unto the roof, giving her a view of the whole city. The wind blew at her dark coloured dress, pushing her hair back.

The wind grew louder and faster, whirling around her, until suddenly it stopped. She felt a presence behind her, but as she turned she found something completely unexpected.

There, standing right behind her, was a tall man in a cloak. From under his hood she could see his devilish smile, lips also holding a cigarette.

"Good evening princess. Care for a dance?" He held out a hand for her to take. Gently she placed her hand in his. Somewhere in the distance a soft violin started playing, lulling them into a gentle sway.