02. Humble Home

(New and edited)
CHAPTER 2: Humble Home

The stare down between us was locked in, I felt the dark brush strokes of his aura reach around him in the room he believed was more appropriate than out in the main courtroom, in the hall, where his clan could see every expression, feel the hatred that I knew I was emitting his way just at the dark sight of him. Nose straight and pointed, skin pale where his Beta held a more olive texture. His dark strands sharp and raked back. Those eyes penetrate mine, calculating, anticipating my next move like his life depends on it.

I closed my eyes and shallowed my breathing as best as I could. I wanted to rest and be left alone, but the thing about hope—it's a dirty four-letter word for the wish on the well. I felt as though I didn't need to breathe much anymore. My lungs didn't want nor need more than such a minimal amount.

"How did you escape the beast, Celestine?" She asks me next. Reina looked to be the only talker of the room. Did they have any fucking idea who I worked for, I could throw them behind bars if I had the forces to do so, if I had the councilmen on my side, after giving my life to the supernatural council.

I slowly open my eyes. She wouldn't leave me alone, and she had no idea how much I wanted to be left alone. I lean my forehead against the wood, "Leave me alone." I didn't recognize my own voice, it wasn't a voice at all—it was a raspy, dying breath.

She stiffens where she sits, "What did you say?" She whispers. She looks at him cautiously, as if this hasn't happened before. He had to be delusional, or at least in utter denial of the truth, I denied him as mine, he isn't. I don't care of status or power behind this particular Alpha, he had no business claiming me.

I know she heard me.

"I won't be a mate to that." I mutter, the filth in front of me has his silver eyes that spotted me as if I were wearing neon in that auditorium, the council members and district of clans were meeting for the sole purpose of understanding whether to let in other supernatural tribes, specific ones being vampires who want in on political discussions, wants who haven't yet gone feral. Others included the elemental species, specifically higher groups in more distant countries, and realms.

I look at her, an empty, dull look in my eyes, "If you don't go away right now, I will burn this entire building to the ground, I will not care for the innocents who die under your Alpha's rule. Get the fuck away from me, you psychotic bitch of hell." I spit at her again, eyes staring into hers.

Her heart thrums.

She leaves, though. Even as she steps away from me, I watch in the reflection of the mirror as Alpha Julius stayed behind; he stayed standing there and staring at my form, searching for the whole puzzle and only getting pieces, some he has no clue what to do with. I refused to turn to him, wishing for my dagger. They checked for that. He caught the hint after that. He was slow to turn away, and often—he would pause every ten steps, shake his head, and pause again until he was finally gone.

I watched the snowfall.

My head was heavy. My back was numb.

I ate dinner in Miranda's room. She didn't seem to mind as she played solitaire on the table. I lay on the couch, staring into nothing. The sound of the door knocking could be heard, "Miranda, open up, now." The woman sounded urgent and my arm burned, meaning he was on the other side, and I could smell the others. Reina and Robert step into the room, thanking Miranda for allowing me to stay here when I refused to be near their Alpha. It was Reina who stepped inside first, Miranda curtsied as if made to do so and stepped out once both Betas stepped inside, along with the one and only Martin, who had to duck to get in.