43. Evacuate!

Gabriel and Alyssa were still in the dining room that Mrs. Goldman had set up for the evening, as the long wait for Cornelius to return was beginning to frustrate most of the people in the room. Gabriel could tell Alyssa and Diane were rather nervous as the young girl went to her sister and hugged her for a while as they waited. Their patience was eventually reward as there was a loud swooshing sound that let them know that the big vampire was returning. Cornelius entered into the large room and slowly approached everyone who was awaiting his return. He didn't look like his cocky self, and rather somber as he walked up to the big table. It was assumed he would return to his seat and resume eating, which was what Gabriel had thought, but he didn't. Instead the big vampire stood behind his chair and remained standing as the look on his face didn't give his younger brother the impression that all was well.

     "I'm afraid things were not settled," Cornelius said, "I'm sorry."

     Gabriel was at a loss for word, as those were two words that he never heard his older brother ever speak in his presence and certainly never that sincerely as well. Rather than dwell on it, Gabriel approached his brother.

     "What's going on?" Gabriel asked him.

     "They're rather determined to come get you, brother." Cornelius answered, "To the point where it's not safe here. We need to evacuate the town, immediately."

     "What?" Mrs. Goldman said, rather stunned by the statement. "When?"

     "Right now," Cornelius said, "As soon as possible. They seemed rather angered by our exchange. I didn't help matters at all."

     "Dammit," Gabriel cursed, "Where should we go?"

     "What about the rest of the town?" Alyssa asked.

     "We can't save everyone," Cornelius said, "We need to save those who are important to us first, and if I have time, I'll see what I can do for everyone else."

     "I'll take Diane," Mrs. Goldman said, standing up. "The safest place for her right now is in Salem."

     "Yes," One of the other witches called out in agreement. "We shall all escort her there ourselves. Combined with all her guardians, she will be quite safe."

     "I want to go too," Alyssa said, standing up.

     Cornelius walked over and put a hand on her shoulder. "You cannot."

     "What?" Alyssa said, angered by that. "Why not?"

     "Only witches are allowed in Salem unless authorized through diplomacy." Cornelius explained, "I can pull some strings and get you access, but she's right. Salem is the safest place for Diane right now. Let the old woman care for her, and we'll retreat to New Lycan for the time being."

     "I will care for her as if she were my own child," Mrs. Goldman said, "Your mom was my best friend, and I will never let anything happen to her."

     "I believe you, M' lady," Cornelius responded, "Because if you fail, every one of you will answer to me."

     "We understand, my lord." The other witch replied, fully aware of what he meant by that statement.

     Alyssa and Gabriel walked Diane to their building, back to the apartment as quickly as they could without catching anyone's attention. Once in their apartment, Alyssa started to pack up their personal belongings. Things that couldn't be replaced such as pictures, old books and clothing that meant something. It was at this moment when Pablo came into the room, as he could tell what was going on.