Prologue

Mrs and Mr Barnes were a kind family, the type of people who greet their neighbours when they walk down the street or hand over some money to those sitting along the road with their lives packed in a suitcase by their feet. They had two daughters; a 12 year old, named Cassidy Barnes who had long brown hair and beautiful Blue eyes. Their second daughter, who was about to turn 11 was named Emily Barnes who also had long brown hair that stuck out everywhere. Her eyes were a gorgeous forest green and she was what you would consider short. But the most noticeable thing about her, was the fact that she could make strange things happen. Things that the neighbours wouldn't consider 'normal'

The Barnes family were close and Mr and Mrs Barnes couldn't have been more proud of their children, the family had everything that they would ever need as long as they had each other, and when they had found out that Emily was a wizard just like her mother, it was a blessing. A normal family would have been able to explain what they had seen. Seriously, what could they say when their 4 year old child could make her food bowl levitate over to her when she was hungry or when their 10 year old child kept making things happen with her mind.

But luckily enough, Mrs Barnes was a witch, a witch who had attended Hogwarts.....The Barnes family were muggles who knew absolutely nothing about the Wizarding world and they wanted to find somebody that they could talk to whenever the mysterious instances occurred, which happened more and more over the years, but who could they tell? What happened if they told someone and then Emily had got taken away from them?

So on the night of May 2nd when an owl had flown into their window and delivered a letter addressed to the younger Barnes child, it was both a shock and a relief for their family.

——————————————— At Diagon Alley ———————————————

"What is this again? Smiggles? Sickens?" Mr Barnes mumbled as he pulled out some of the wizarding money from his pocket as they stood outside of the wand shop. Emily looked over at her mum, both of them sharing amused smirks before Emily smiled up at her father as she struggled not to giggle at her father's confusion

"Sickles father but those ones are knuts" she says pointing at the bronze coins and then she points over to the silver and then the gold "the silver ones are the sickles and then the gold ones are galleons. There are 29 knuts in one sickle, and 17 sickles in 1 galleon"

"Right, yes of course, maybe I should just wait out here while you and your mother go in there," Mr Barnes said with a small smile on his face and handed the money over to his wife as she giggled softly at her husband

"Right right of course, thank you dear. Come along poppet, lets go get you a wand," Mrs Barnes said and then ran her fingers through her daughters hair affectionately before shoving the coins back into her pocket and then grabbing onto Emilys hand and pulling her towards Olivanders, the wand shop. 

A tinkling bell rang somewhere inside the depths of the shop as they stepped inside. It was a tiny place, empty except for a single, spindly chair that Mrs Barnes had decided to take a seat on while she waiting, going over the list of things that her daughter needed so that they wouldn't miss anything, she wasn't sure who was more excited, herself or her daughter.

Thousands of narrow boxes where piled everywhere, some of the piles even reached up to the high ceiling. Emily looked around the room in complete awe but she was stopped when a kind old voice ran throughout the shop.

"Good afternoon" said the voice and Emily quickly turned around to look at the man who's eyes widened greatly when he saw her, he stumbled back a few places and blinked vigorously as he stared at her. Emily and her mother shared a confused look then Emily turned back to the man

"Hello, um, are you alright?" Emily asked softly and walked up to the counter to which the man stood behind. Her soft kind voice brought a familiar warm feeling to the older man

"Ophelia... that is impossible," Ollivander stated as looked at her in complete shock, he couldn't believe what he was seeing. It was like his old age had caught up to him in a matter of seconds, because he had to be going insane

"Actually my name is Emily" she muttered out softly, not sure if the man was all with it or not

Ollivander quickly snapped out of his trance and put on a fake smile, which Emily had noticed straight away "I'm sorry, you just look exactly like a witch that i had met years ago when i sold her wand, quite a lovely girl, a shame about what happened to her, she would have gone on to do great things, and I'm sure she would have stopped a lot of bad things from happening too"

"What happened to her?" Emily asked in confusion and Ollivander shook his head in sorrow

"Nothing for you to worry about child, now lets get you your wand shall we?" He says, with the same fake smile on his face as he looked at her, he knew he was old, but he was certain that the girl in front of him was exactly the same as the girl that he had met in 1938, everything about her was the same, her hair, her eyes, even her voice.

"Well now young Emily, lets see" he says and pulled out a long tape measure from his pocket "which is your wand arm?" He asks her

"Well I write with my left hand, so does that mean my left arm is my wand arm?" She asks and the man nods his head and then gestures for her to hold her arm out and she quickly does so and then he measures from her shoulder down to her finger and then from her wrist to her elbow, knee to her armpit and then around her head, ignoring the look that Emilys mother was giving him

"Every Ollivander wand has a core of a powerful magical substance. We use unicorn hairs, phoenix tail feathers, and the heartstrings of dragons. No two Ollivander wands are the same, just as no two unicorns, dragons or phoenixes are quite the same. And of course, you will never get such good results which another wizards wand" he says and then walk towards the very back of the shop and digs through a pile of wands that were covered in dust and looked like they had been there the longest out of all of the wands. 

He grabbed a box and then made his way back over to her quickly and handed her the wand, watching her carefully as she grabbed the wand in her hand. As soon as she took the wand she felt a sudden warmth in her hand and her fingers, she raised it above her head and quickly cut through the dusty air as she bought it back down and Yellow and green sparks flew out of the end of it like small fireworks, the two colours danced with each other happily

Mr Ollivander smiled softly, though this time the smile was real "very good, very good. Though how curious, how very curious" he muttered out as he looked at the wand as the girl held it "though not surprising"

Emily handed the wand over to Ollivander and he put the wand back into the box, feeling empty without it, Emily frowned "sorry but what's curious, what isn't surprising?"

Mr Ollivander fixed Emily with his pale stare "i remember every single wand that i have ever sold and it just so happens that the wand that you matched with is... no no nothing, don't you worry child. You're wand is 11 inches, Larch wood with a phoenix feather core and brittle flexibility"

Mrs Barnes handed 7 gold galleons over to Mr Ollivander and thanked him quickly and then the mother and daughter quickly made their way out of the small shop, not particularly wanting to be in there for much longer.

By the end of the day they were both exhausted but had bought everything on the list and even had a Barn owl flying around their house happily, though Mr Barnes had instructed that Sebastian the owl had to stay in its cage or in Emily's room.