Irresistible Poison - Chapter 5

Chapter Five: Consequences

Love is not a word; it's a sentence.

Professor Lupin laid all their corrected homework scrolls on the table, and looked up at the class with a pleasant smile.

"Well. Here's the homework submitted last lesson, I've graded them and am just going to say a few words before returning them to you." He gestured expansively at the pile of scrolls, and remarked dryly, "Some of you have clearly taken the length requirement very technically indeed, and might be pleased to know that I did take note of your painstaking efforts to keep your essay exactly thirty inches long."

Ron smiled sheepishly and looked at Harry, who grinned back.

"However," there was a twinkle in Lupin's eye as he continued, "this homework assignment was generally very well done, with a few outstanding pieces of work." He picked up a thick scroll, and held it up. "Hermione has done a meticulous job in researching the history of Imperius through the Ages, going beyond textbook material and giving a very accurate account of the origins and development of the Curse. Five points to Gryffindor, well done."

It came as no surprise, of course, although Hermione still blushed and looked very pleased with herself. Ron grinned and raised his eyebrows as if to say What's new?, but truthfully they were all glad for the extra points, since the battle for first place in the House rankings was a tight spot between Slytherin and Gryffindor. Harry gave Hermione a thumbs-up sign.

"Another excellent essay worth mention," Lupin announced, "is written by Mr Malfoy."

Harry's head snapped in Draco's direction, genuine surprise on his face; Draco didn't look at him, and was just staring fixedly straight ahead. A murmur arose in the classroom, comprising of the Gryffindors' displeasure that Hermione wasn't the only one whose essay was highlighted, and the Slytherins' satisfaction that they had representation in the honour roll.

"Mr Malfoy has done an outstanding practical analysis of the Imperius Curse, which is actually much more difficult than the research since it incorporates personal commentary." At this Hermione frowned, annoyed at having her thunder stolen. Lupin continued, "He has managed to summarise the reason for Imperius' efficacy in a very succinct manner, and his essay is among the most insightful that I've ever read."

Lupin picked up what was presumably Draco's scroll and unfurled it; Harry glanced at Draco again, and was once more startled to see the look of dismay on Draco's face as Lupin began to read selected passages from the essay.

"Imperius is so potent because of the absolute control it affords the one casting the spell — the victim is forced to bend completely to the caster's will, unable to fight it unless duly trained or in possession of special magical prowess," Lupin read out loud; the class was silent as they all listened. "Imperius has been ubiquitous through the ages because of its simple incisive nature, in how it penetrates its victim deeply, permeating mind, body and soul. Other variations of the Imperius Curse include Mental Manipulation Spells, certain kinds of memory charms, and love potions."

Harry flinched slightly, sitting up straighter. He looked to Draco once more, and saw the blond head bowed, Draco's hands covering his eyes, his shoulders slumped. Harry stared at Draco, feeling a heavy sinking feeling in his chest as he listened to Lupin.

"But even more so, the victim is confused, such that he doesn't know what to believe as truth or lie any longer, unable to distinguish between induced thought and real intention. This serves to disintegrate the victim from within — he no longer understands the difference between what he really wants and what the spell is forcing upon him, and in the end, this proves to be the most damaging way of breaking his resolve."