Chapter 10 - Destiny Awaits

Chapter 10
Destiny awaits

The strange faceless men had picked up a limp Doctor from his seat and dragged him to my cage. Walter Simeon stood by and watched as they roughly dropped him face first on the cement floor. Wasting no time I quickly dropped to my knees and with some effort flipped him on to his back.

I gently set his head on my lap as I combed back the dark hair from his forehead to reveal a giant gash and several bruises on his face.

The cage door shut with a loud slam making me jump and glance up. Simeon gave me a sinister smile.

-"Enjoy your time with him because it will be your last."

-"I will never tell you anything."

-"You won’t have too, Miss Oswald. My mind-melding machine will take what it needs." Simeon started to walk away but stopped in his track. He turned his head in my direction. "I have to make a few modifications to my mind-melding machine, to fit your human brain so it does not fry before I get the information I need." With that he walked away. Once he was out of sight, the lights all turned off, except for the small bulb above us.

I glared in the direction Simeon had went for a moment longer but a moan coming from the Doctor brought me back to the task at hand.

-"Doctor?" I spoke softly, my voice echoed throughout the room, but nothing. When he didn’t respond I felt my stomach sink. "Please be okay." I whispered.

I sat back to get a bit more comfortable, keeping his head steady on my lap. He didn’t seem to have anything wrong with him except for the few cuts and bruises on his face and hands. But Simeon had said that his machine fried the brain, what if he had some sort of brain damage? I had to find a way to get us out of here.

Looking around the dark warehouse it appeared that Walter had not left any guards to watch us, which could either mean he was careless or he had nothing to worry about and with all the planning he had done I doubted he was being careless, but I still had to try to get us out of here. There was nothing nearby that could help us except one thing. Silently praying I reached down the Doctor's chest and slipped my hand into his trouser pocket since he was not wearing his overcoat or blazer.

I felt around the first pocket and found nothing except for several odd items, like some rubber bands, a pair of dice and a glove. I moved to the other pocket.

-"If you do not stop that, we will have a lot more explaining to do to Simeon then I care to do." The Doctor suddenly spoke, making me jump.

I glanced to the Doctor's face, which held a small grin.

-"Oh hush you." I giggled, despite myself. "I am looking for your sonic." The Doctor nodded and tried to sit up but as he did so he let out a loud gasp of pain. He doubled over, clutching his ribs. Forgetting the sonic screwdriver I quickly put my hands on his arm. "What is it, what hurts?"

He shrugged from my touch and with great pain he sat up.

-"It’s nothing." He grunted while scooting over to the bars and leaned his back on them. Ignoring his dismissal I moved with him and before he could stop me, I lifted his shirt to reveal two dark bruises on his chest. "Leftovers from Simeon's machine." He shrugged and reached into his pocket getting the sonic screw driver out. He aimed it to the door but nothing happened.

-"What is wrong?"

-"I'm not sure." He brought the screwdriver back to eye level and after examining it for a moment he aimed at the door again. "There is some sort of dampening field around here that is interfering with the sonic screwdriver." The Doctor's arm fell to his side and he let out a great sigh. "We will have to figure out another way."