The end of life, for another

"Garranis! Garranis!"

Something pricked Garranis' face.

He opened his eyes; a scruffy black beard was looming over him, a bright light flooding in behind.

"Hagsin," his throat ached. "What happened? I—I burned to death."

"Not quite," Hagsin said. "But almost."

"Where is—," Garranis stood up, pushing past Hagsin. He reached his palm up to his face; it was rough and scaly, and inhuman.

Turning around, he stumbled backwards in shock. Nearly the entire view of Pallonia was stretched out on the plains below him; they were atop a cliff of astounding height.

"This is— this is Gunervin's Peak. Where— where are Leesha and Erin?"

Hagsin shook his head, turning away.

"Hagsin! Where are they?!"

The short man stood idle, back to his burnt friend.

"They're gone, Garranis. They're all gone."

"No. I don't believe you. They can't— they can't be."

"Garranis," Hagsin said, turning around to meet him in the eyes. "They're gone. I'm sorry."

The tears from Garranis' reddened eyes itched his rashy, wrinkled skin. A harsh tremor shook from inside his chest. He trusted Hagsin with his life, but would not believe it.

The warrior ran down the hill, the wind brushing a trail of ashy flakes off his skin, creating a dark tail behind him.

"Garranis!" Hagsin shouted from behind, but Garranis didn't even turn to look.

He could smell the smoke from the bottom of the hill that led up to Gunervin's Peak, still a good bit away from the town. Despite the odious stench which further inflamed his eyes, Garranis picked up speed.

The sparse patches of grass are smudged against the mud, holed in by the heavy footprints of bronze boots, hundreds of them.

The glare of the armour against the torches in the blackened night flashed in Garranis' mind, and he closed shook his head to bounce the memory out of his skull. Had that only been the day before?

The army's footprints reached past the hill; they had headed back east.

Why go out all this way to attack such an insignificant town? Why?!

Garranis let out a throaty scream at the sky, curling both his hands into brutish claws.

There was nothing to punch, and the air didn't give much of a fight.

After a final, brutal bellow, he continued on his way.

The outline of the town was discernible, but its buildings were still hidden by the smog.

Gagging, he hacked at the grimy air, pinching his nose before continuing his trudge.

Strangely, as he got closer to the town, the haze became less noticeable. Part of him wished it wasn't so.

His nerves had likely been extinguished, but his feet felt so warm and dry, even more than the rest of his peeling form.

The buildings— the wooden huts were burnt to a crisp, including the small, makeshift dorm his wife and daughter had stayed in during their sick days. Even the unbreakable stone buildings were covered in dark spots; there had been no damage done to them yet they were no longer homes, and never would be again.

He looked around the desolated village. There was no movement in sight. Where were the people? He dreaded the thought.

He looked back to where the two armies stood before, flashed them into place. The Emperor was again standing to his left, barrelling out harsh commands, tiny crystal in his crown reflecting the wall of torches.

Soulshocked | ONC 2021On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara