Bram and Asher - Age 13: Bond

Asher could feel his frantically beating heart all through his body. More Vampire kids. 

And Aunt Lucinda expected them to be friends. Friends! How was he supposed to be friends with kids his age, kids who had no idea what the world was really like. Kids that would  look at him with pity or disgust if they ever found out what happened to him. 

No matter what Aunt Lucinda said--

Nearby, the large red-haired wolf-shifter lifted his face, nose audible sniffing, "I think they're almost here." 

Asher had expected to feel a great many things when the other kids stepped into view: fear, revulsion, superiority. He had not expected his eyes to zero in on one of the boys, hadn't expected his stomach to flip, the earth to shift. 

What was that? And why was it so terrifying? 

Because the feeling absolutely was terrifying. He didn't like it one bit, and because the other guy had caused it, Asher decided that he didn't like him either. 

It was fine, though. He knew how to pretend, knew how to act like he wasn't afraid. 

While he pondered all of that, introductions had been made with the rest of the group. Four new kids, three of which were Vampires like him and another that was... well, he didn't know what she was. Her father looked kind of a like a dark creature but not, and her mother was definitely Giftling. 

The mother glanced his way, "Speaking of kids. Who's the loner."

The wolf's Mate glanced over and said, "Oh, that's--"

"Asher," he said firmly, interrupting her with a glare.  They needed to know that he was strong or else-- "And I'm a Nightmare Vamp."

"Nightmare?" pink haired boy wondered, eyes wide.

"I feed on fear," Asher sneered, delighting when the pink one flinched backwards. "I'm the most powerful kind of Vamp there is. Well, aside from Dimitri who can literally eat a dark creature, but he's a weirdo."

The red haired one, the one that made his insides twist, stepped forward, "Yeah? I bet I could beat you. Nothing you could throw at me could be worse than what we just left."

Asher raised a brow, heart pounding but trying to pretend otherwise, "I like a challenge."

The two of them began a glaring contest neither was willing to lose. 

Eventually, Aunt Lucinda sighed , "Asher go run the stink off of ya and cool down."

His heart stuttered, and he broke eye contact with the other boy. Was Aunt Lucinda upset with him? She as the last person in the world he wanted to upset. 

Turning to glare one last time at the other boy, blaming him for making Aunt Lucinda mad, Asher's fist unclenched and he nodded. Aunt Lucinda had saved him, and he'd do just about anything she asked without hesitation. 

Determined to put on a show of strength, however, he jumped from the top of the porch and sprinted as hard and fast as he could go. 

Let's see the new guy even try to keep up.   

***

Finally, lunch time. 

Asher sprawled happily under the shade of the trees, not having to worry about the glaring sun overhead. It was one of his favorite spots, a place where he could come to be alone--

The emotions of several people drifted closer to his little sanctuary, and with it the sound of people walking. Were they going to--of course they were going to take of his sanctuary.