P R O L O G U E

I was sitting in a closet, my older brother next to me, holding his hand over my mouth to keep me quiet. I could faintly hear the conversation between my mum and someone at the door.

"Need the children... not negotiable, ma'am... mind if I look around?" I felt my brother tense next to me. He was listening too.

"O-oh! Not at all, sir. But I do assure you, the children are with their grandfather."

"We don't want to take risks, ma'am. I hope you understand."

I heard footsteps make their way up the stairs, and another set coming over to our closet.

"You two are going to take these backpacks and run, okay? I want you to get to the dark brown house by the sign leading to town. There, one of my friends will lead you to a safe place. Follow my directions exactly. Don't stop for anything or anyone, everything you'll need is in here." She handed each of us a backpack, her British accent thickening with the sobs coming through.

"Okay, I love you, Mum. I swear, I'll protect Jade with my life."

"Thank you, Sage. I love you both so much." She hugged Sage tight.

She then turned to me and grabbed my shoulders, looking directly into my eyes. I wanted to pull away, but I knew I shouldn't. "Remember, don't use your abilities for anything. They'll get you caught and killed. Understood?"

I nodded, then looked down. "I won't." She hugged me close, almost squeezing the life out of me. "Will we get to see you again?"

She pulled away, just enough for me to look her in the eye. I already knew the answer. I could see it in her puffy, red eyes, her messy ash blonde hair that mimics my own.

"You need to get out of here. Both of you. Take care of yourselves, please. I promise you, Jade, you'll see me again. I'm not sure when, or why, or how, but you will." She kissed my forehead and pulled us out of the closet, towards the back door. "Only use secluded walkways and places that you won't be spotted. Promise me you'll do that, I beg you."

"Of course. We'll see you again." The way Sage said it was comforting. Not like he wanted it to, but like it would happen. It gave me the confidence to believe what he said.

Mum smiled at Sage. There was adoration, and love laced in her teary brown eyes, the same ones her only son had.

Quickly shaking her head, she looked at us. "Go. Please, you can't risk your lives any longer."

Sage nodded then gripped my hand, pulling me outside and towards the woods, never looking back.

I heard a gunshot in the distance, and somehow I knew.

Our mum was gone.