05

It's hard for them both to admit to themselves, but things are going good in Hardin and Esther's lives. Their friendship or relationship, both still unclear on what they are, has blossomed and they've become close. Closer than ever. But with valentines day looming, Esther can't help but wonder if she should carry on as she normally would?

Her and Maya double dated last year and it seems like a fun idea to do again. Of course, she wants Hardin to be the one sat with her but would he really do that? He doesn't seem the type. She's about to find out, though.

Hardin places her cup of tea on the table and sits beside her, stretching his arm across the back of the sofa. Effie watches him. "I have a question."

He glances over before looking back to the episode of FRIENDS they're watching. "Yeah?"

"What are we?" She says slowly.

Hardin looks over again, his eyebrows raised. "Eh?"

"What are we?" Esther asks slower. "Like, let's say on valentines day are we doing couple-y things or do you have other plans?" She shrugs.

Hardin rolls his eyes. "Valentines day is a load of bullshit. I hate it."

"I rather like it..." She says. "That doesn't answer my question."

"Why do you wanna know? You got someone else waiting for you? Is this your way of finishing with me?" He asks, sitting up.

Esther covers a laugh as she sips her tea. "Oh serious?" She asks, tilting her head at him. "When did we even start anything Hardin? I never know where I stand with you, like what am I to you?"

"I-" He goes quiet.

Esther rolls her eyes. "I think you should go."

He stands and grabs his jacket. "Yeah, first sane thing you've said today." He snaps. "Enjoy your date, whoever he is. Hope he's a good fuck." He snaps, storming out.

"Grow up!" Esther yells, following after him.

Hardin pauses, his eyes hard. "Is this all a game to you, Esther?" He snaps. "Am I not enough?"

"Where is this even coming from!?" She yells back. "I asked what we are and you're making it seem like I've asked you to murder someone!"

"I thought it was clear what we are!"

"Evidently not Sherlock!"

He glares. "I don't just hang around with anyone-"

"Yeah? Sure sounds like it from what I've heard." She blurts.

Hardin's cold eyes seem to harden even more. "Fuck you, Esther." He snaps, storming out. The door and the windows rattle at the force in which he slams them, his engine roaring away moments later.

Esther screams in frustration and stomps her foot. Did I really just do that? "Maya! Get me drunk!" She yells.

"YES!!" Her friend yells excitedly.

-

"Don't yack on him, okay?" Maya whispers as they walk to the table their dates wait at.

Esther swallows hard, her hangover worse than ever before. Last night got a bit messy but that's what she wanted - a big fuck you to Hardin, really. They got in from the frat party at about 4am, had a class at 8:30 and several classes after. Then Maya dragged her straight home and go her ready for this date thing.

"No promises." She mutters, forcing a smile as they reach the booth.

"Esther, this is Alex and Parker, they're both Law students." Maya says, motioning. Alex is a Latino with a strong jawline and the curliest hair while Parker is your average looking frat boy with the glint in his eye and half a pot of gel in his guif.