part one

when daishou suguru signed up for his college's annual science contest, he hoped that he would be paired with one of the more academic students. someone who would do the majority of the work so that daishou could get extra credit with minimal effort. someone like kuroo tetsurou.

as much as daishou didn't like him, he would be lying if he said kuroo wasn't smart. kuroo was intelligent, and it was the kind of stubborn intelligence that made him take full responsibility for the work as he didn't trust anyone else enough to do it. this arrangement had worked well last year; they had come second overall and all daishou had to do was print out some paper and buy kuroo food sometimes.

daishou knew it was unlikely that he and kuroo would be working together again. still, he hoped that his partner would be someone of kuroo's calibre.

he opened the email that his professor had sent and scrolled down the attached spreadsheet until he found his name, and next to it, his partner's.

terushima yuuji.

the spreadsheet informed daishou that terushima was a first year. he squinted at his phone screen, wondering if it was a mistake. having to work with a first year on a serious project would be annoying.

terushima's email address was listed next to his name, so daishou sent him a message.

from: daishou

to: yuuji!!

it appears that you are my project partner. please contact your professor so that this mistake can be rectified.

not even a minute had passed before daishou received a reply.

from: yuuji!!

to: daishou

a mistake??? what do u mean

from: daishou

to: yuuji!!

you're a first year, correct? we're supposed to be partnered with people in the same year as us.

from: yuuji!!

to: daishou

ahhhhhah well i guess im smart enough so that it dont matter. ive always been in advanced classes

from: daishou

to: yuuji!!

*doesn't

from: yuuji!!

to: daishou

doesn't what???

from: daishou

to: yuuji!!

it doesn't matter

from: yuuji!!

to: daishou

if it doesn't matter, then why are we talking about it???

daishou clenched his jaw, but before he could think of a snarky response, another email came through.

from: yuuji!!

to: daishou

i kinda already have an idea abt what we could do, u can meet me in the east cafe tmrw at 4 if that's ok?

from: daishou

to: yuuji!!

fine.

it would be easier to have this conversation in person.