Chapter One *Skylar*

Just one more day, the sun goes up only to come back down again. Today wasn’t like that though. It was the choosing, the day where one of us gets taken by them. So I warn you now, run. If you are a rebel, don’t give up! They are after us, you were right. If you are reading this out of leisure then you can pretend this world, this war, this life is not real and for that I envy you, but I warn you, don’t come near the walls because we are breaking them down.

“Come on Sky, its choosing day, It’s already 7” says a soothing voice that only makes me want to fall asleep again in my safety of the warm sheet blankets. I open one eye slowly and peer out on the intruder of my wonderful sleep. “Who dares enter” I groan. Someone starts to laugh. “Well hello sleeping beauty, I take you had a great night sleep” The voice says. “Ha, Ha” I say sarcastically.  “Rachel, why did you come” I say peering up at my older sister who is currently annoying the crap out of me. “It’s choosing, now get up” My sister says smiling. I groan but accept her hand. “Thanks” I mumble. ‘What its 7? How? I fell asleep at… or right. I took a nap’. I think. She left my small room so I got on a simple red t-shirt with my leather jacket on. I pulled on a loose pair of jeans and threw on my combat boots. I walk casually out the door to see the soldiers coming down our street and stopping at each house and each family gets put in the back of their truck. I sigh. They stop at our neighbors and a soldier dressed in all black swings out of the truck door frame and marches towards their door, I turn away and sit on our old little blue couch with the rest of my family. I see my little sister, Rainey, playing on the ground with my little brother. They are twins, both fraternal and identical, each six with a mess of dark brown hair and an olive skin tone. They sat and played till Rainey got bored (as she often did) and sat on my lap as Landon (My younger brother) mumbled what sounded like Rainey being a lazy bum. My dad glares daggers at him and he shrinks away in his world of hot wheel cars. I pull Rainey closer to me as we hear the bang of knuckles on wood. My dad pulls open the door after unlocking it and the soldiers point us to their truck with their guns. We walk down our concrete side walk to the truck simultaneously like drones. We hop in the bed of the truck and sit next to our neighbors in complete silence till the other neighbors get in the truck and it takes off with the low mumble of the engine. We stay in the truck bed for about ten minutes in the truck till the engine stopped and the back of the truck opened up to soldiers lined on two sides of the truck to make a pathway. We all went through it quietly and went to the center. The center (a very creative name if I do say so myself) is in the very middle of everything and is where every major event is taken place. Anyways, once we got to the center there was a ton of bodies packed in the small circle. The gates closed so I guess we were the last ones. I look around but find no one I know besides my own family. I sigh, here we go again: The Choosing. That retched time of the year where we get picked off and towed away from here and, are probably used as lab rats. Great. Good times. They, though, the loyal, committed, wonderful people, also known as the scientists, are now on the ‘stage’. “Hello section eight” Says one who appears to be the leader considering all the brainwashed scientists and guards are staring at him with gogo eyes. “Alright seems you guys want to get right to it” says the leader who is answering to nothing. Now usually section eight would be throwing tomatoes at the guy but the last Pearson who did that was immediately shot so… I’m guessing you can put two and two together. “Let’s start with the former winners. Kele, 3000, Bert, 3001, Weslend, 3002, Faith, 3003…” The scientist drones on. I don’t get why they read these things, I mean no one actually listens. “David, 3020, Nala, 3021, Tatania, 3022...” I mean I can grasp some of their concept. Well as much as you can grasp from their sick twisted heads. They want us to yearn, they want to see us in pain, and it’s sickening, it really is. I start to think, these are innocent lives being taken. I can see some of the other people realizing this just like every year and they start to tear up while the scientist on stage is smiling wildly watching our reactions. “Naomi, 3040, Taylor, 3041, Derek 3042, Frank, 3043…” This is always the worst part, well one of them, hearing the names and seeing their battle, their bloodshed replayed in your mind, the empty looks in their eyes. Or maybe it’s hearing a name that’s not yours and you let out a breath of relief, and then you fear you are the monster for rejoicing that it’s not you, as another goes up with tears streaming down their faces filled with fear, and you keep repeating in your head that it’s okay, you didn’t get picked. “Rayland, 3047, Johnny, 3048, Maria, 3049, and now the main event” Says the scientist and he casts and evil glance to the crowd “And our lucky contestant is” He says “Skylar Wolf” He exclaims and a tiny gasp escapes my lips. I was wrong. I was sooo wrong, this is the worst part. Its, its, me.