At First Blush

Day 3 // 4:20PM

Amity was pacing. Whenever she found herself unbelievably stressed, at a loss for what to do next or, distressingly frequently as of late, both - she would engage in the long held ritual. Edric and Emira watched Amity walk circles around her bedroom with something akin to amusement in their eyes.

"The curse has returned," Edric murmured in a gravelly voice.

"In full force, no less. We've been standing here for five minutes and she still hasn't noticed us," Emira snorted, and then cleared her throat. "Mittens, is something wrong?" She asked innocently, as if she didn't know the answer already.

Amity snapped her head up, coming to a halt in the middle of the room. There was a lost look in her eyes, and after blinking a few times her eyes cleared.

"No." Amity frowned. "What are you two doing here?"

"We came to get you for dinner, but it seems like you'd be happier wearing a hole in the floor instead," Edric grinned.

Amity flushed.

"Shut up," She grumbled, crossing her arms. "I'll be down in a minute."

The twins nodded and made for the door. Emira grabbed the handle and poked her head back in before she closed the door.

"Y'know Mittens, if you really want to cure that curse of yours, it might help to go see Luz-"

An Abomination hand slammed the door shut, nearly taking Emira's head off with it.

"Yeesh," Edric raised an eyebrow. "Someone's in a mood today."

Emira gave him a knowing look.

"Can you really blame her?"

Edric hummed.

"I guess not," He elbowed Emira in the ribs, making her push him away. "After what Luz has been up to this week, it's only a matter of time before she finally cracks."

"We can only hope," Emira crossed her fingers. "I made a bet with Viney, I have a lot of snails riding on this. I have faith Mittens will get her act together."

"Pfft, you've bet on a lost cause," Edric waved a hand in the air. "The only thing Mittens will be doing is more pacing. She has no idea how to handle Luz," He smirked. "Not after all of the advice we've given her."

---- ---- ----

Day 1 // 8:03AM

Luz hummed happily to herself as she tickled her locker to grab the right textbooks for her morning Oracle class. She was lost in thought, running through her hectic class schedule for the day, when two silhouettes appeared on either side of her.

"Hey cutie!"

"Bah!" Luz jumped, backpedaling furiously while she clutched a hand to her heart. She relaxed when she realized who had startled her. "Oh, hey guys!"

Edric and Emira leaned against the lockers and waved lazily in greeting.

"We need a favor," Edric said. "It's about Mittens."

Luz's eyebrows furrowed.

"Is something wrong?"

"Not really," Emira laced her fingers together, falling into a rehearsed act. "It's just..."

"She has a big exam today and she's been really stressed about it," Edric explained.

"Breaking out in hives-"

"Pulling all nighters at the library-"

"Skipping meals-"

As the twins listed off a series of troubling behaviors (all verifiably false), Luz grew concerned.