Chapter 2

"O--ONE PUMPKIN SPICE latte, p--please." You felt your hands shake, you had a lecture in a few minutes and you were close to being late. The barista nodded, going off to the side to prepare your drink. You looked around the café, it was cozy and warm. You made a mind note to frequent here in the future.

The barista then handed you the drink, you giving her the right amount cash in return. You took a sip of it, taking in the bitter sweetness.

"(Y/n), how could you possibly drink this evil thing and not get sick?!"

You were walking with Aiko to lunch. You giggled, shrugging your shoulders. "I don't know, I usually take it black but every once in a while I change it up."

Aiko rolled her eyes at your playfulness. You were so busy paying attention to her that you didn't realize that you bumped into a toned chest. Splash! Your sweet coffee spilt all over his shirt. Your eyes widened in realization, quickly grabbing some napkins from your backpack. You felt heat rush to your cheeks. "O--oh my gosh, I am so sorry--"

"It's fine," he grunted. You looked up at him for a second, he was tall and seemed to be one of those 'no bullshit' kind of guys. There was a noticeable red tint on his cheeks but his expression told a much different story.

You heard a laugh from behind him. It was that boy you asked Aiko about yesterday. "Uh oh, looks like Iwa-chan got coffee all over his uniform."

"Shut up Shittykawa."

Aiko grabbed your arm, giving you a 'lets get out of here' look and you anxiously nodded. The two boys watched you leave with curiosity, both of them were equally intrigued by you. "What the hell was that, (Y/n)?"

You frowned in embarrassment. "I--I wasn't watching where I was going."

"Well be careful next time, or you'll bump into one of those bastards again. They're bad news."

You chuckled, locking arms with her as the two of you continued to stroll through the hallway. "Oh come on Aiko, I think that Oikawa guy seems nice-ish. Do you have some sort of vendetta against the volleyball team?"

"Something like that," The red-haired girl muttered. Your eyebrows raised, deciding to not tap into her conflict with them. 

--

"Who was the cutie?" Oikawa asked as he and a few other guys changed into their jerseys.

Iwaizumi pulled off his stained shirt and placed it in his duffle bag. He instantly knew who what his friend was referring to. "Some third year transfer. Judging by her slightly mediocre Japanese, she's American."

"Ah, she's definitely not like everyone else around here." Oikawa smirked at his the light-green eyed boy. "You know Iwa-chan? Something tells me we'll be seeing her a lot more often."

"Mhm."

And with that, they headed off to the gym for practice.

--

You took a drag out of your cigarette. The lecture was quite succinct, only lasting about 30 minutes. Most lessons were straight-forward and to-the-point, which was one of the several perks that came with your college experience.

Sometimes you wondered how you managed to push through after what had happened. It seemed like a never-ending hell, maybe that's why the admission team felt bad for you when you wrote that heartfelt essay. Your phone vibrated, indicating someone was trying to call you. It was your aunt. You sighed, swiping left to hear what she had to say. "..H--hello?"

"(Y/n)? Hi sweetheart, how are you doing?"

"F--fine Auntie, I just c--came from a lecture."

"I see. You know your friend Aiko stopped by yesterday to see if you were still here. Poor thing misses you like hell."

You once again sighed. A part of you did miss your old friends from high school, but sometimes you've got to leave the past in the past. Hell, you moved out of Miyagi for a god-damned reason. Thinking of the past made you want to take another hit of your cigarette. So you did, savoring the ethereal feeling of nicotine entering your lungs.

"..(Y/n)?"

No answer, she instantly knew why. Aunt Em was now becoming irritated with you. "(Y/n), are you smoking again?"

You groaned, hanging up the phone on her. It's not like you were trying to be rude or anything. You hated when she tried to intrude on your bad habits, like a child. And you weren't a fucking child anymore.

You tossed the cigarette, pressing it into the ground. You looked at the time and internally cussed. It was almost 4:30. You had some stupid study session with one of your classmates, he was pretty nice but seemed to be reserved and a no-bullshit kind of guy as well.

You walked to the library, which was like a common-place for the students to hang out it. You spotted him, you were only like 5 or six minutes late. But making an effort to be punctual would establish a better relationship between the two of you.

Your classmate had this studious dark academia-like nature to him, which you found to be pretty hot. It was also his familiarity, he reminded you of someone from the past. You also liked how he was patient with you, given your speech impediment and all. It was pretty rare especially since you hadn't always been like that.

"(L/n), you're late." His non-chalant voice bringing a few shivers down your spine. Obviously, you had gotten over your boy-shyness but you sometimes felt like a part of it was still there.

You quickly bowed your head and played it off with a giggle. "S--sorry Akaashi, I ran into a few things on the way here. It won't happen again." He nod

"Don't make promises you can't keep." His gunmetal blue eyes boring into your (e/c) ones. He gestured for you to sit next to him to which you immediately followed. Both of you had aspirations within the world of humanities, especially you, who was looking to write a book someday. "So what have you worked on so far?"

You pulled up a word document on your laptop of some drafting ideas for a possible story. Your professor is has assigned each student to write a memoir of the past. "I--I decided to write about the more positive moments of my past, y'know?"

Akaashi just stared, once again showing no emotion. You hadn't opened up to him at all really. But you knew he somehow suspected, with your aloof and timid nature, that something happened to you.

"Honestly," he said making eye-contact with the window behind you.

"H--hm?" You internally panicked. Oh no, is my idea too dull-

He then smiled, making your eyes widen. "Honestly I think it's a great idea, (L/n)."