Long Nights

"Wait, how long is the pizzeria going to be closed?" You are sitting in your garage cleaning and repairing a hydraulic arm piece.

"Two months!?" You exclaim.

Your boss sighs, "Yeah. Until we get the legal part of what happened to Mike figured out, we can't let anybody except staff in the building."

You can hear him open and shut a door on the other side, "Listen, Y/n, I know that this isn't what you signed up for. I won't blame you if you want to quit or anything-"

You nearly jump out of your seat, rushing to correct him, "No! Nonono, I'm not planning on leaving sir. In fact," you pin the phone between your  head and your shoulder and wipe off your hands with a rag, "Since we're going to be closed, would it be alright if I sort of, moved in?"

"Why would you want to move into the pizzeria?"

"Well, during my night shifts recently, I've undertaken a bit of a repair project. It would be easier if I didn't have to drive an hour and a half every day to work on it."

The two of you discuss this some more, and your boss finally caves.

"Okay, as long as you don't injure yourself. I don't want another Mike." He says, half-jokingly.

"Of course, sir. I'll be careful."

"I'll contact you again if anything changes." He concludes, "Have a good one, Y/n."

"You too. Bye." Ending the call, you start to prepare for moving into the pizzeria.

-------------

Since the restaurant was going to be closed, you could come in at any point during the day. Of course, the animatronics were still set on their day/night cycle, so they wouldn't wake up until midnight. Once they woke up, you could adjust the cycle to let them wander whenever.

For now, you set your tool bag and your duffle bags of clothing in the office. You pull all of the blankets you brought out of your car and set up a big nest in the office. You push the desk to one side to make more space.

You toss the pillows into the blanket nest, not worrying about how it looks for now. Now, you wanted to get to work. You take all of your stuff into the parts and service room and set it down. Stray parts and other pieces are strewn on the table.

Bonnie's new mask is laying on the table next to its almost complete frame. It just needed to be connected to Bonnie's head, and that would be done. You'd gotten Chica new hands and unlocked her jaw, and you'd be able to get Bonnie an arm now that you'd repaired the hydraulic pump. You have to put together Bonnie's new arm, and you had to find him and attach it.

You doubted that it would be hard to find the old animatronics. Ever since they first revealed themselves to you, they were always lingering about around corners and such like lost puppies. It would've been cute, if they weren't six foot tall robots capable of snapping your neck in one hand.

You're working on autopilot while you think. Why did the originals seem so broken inside and out? Who had hurt them? And then there was the mystery of how they gained sentience.

You have questions with no answers. It breaks your heart every day to think about what they could've went through.

You still have hours before the bots wake up. You could do checkups on the bots, but you'd done their maintenance yesterday. You doubt there'd be anything to fix.

Maybe I should have dinner first.

The kitchen was clean, but it hadn't  been used in probably 36 hours. However, the cabinet was full of canned foods and ingredients, and what little of what was in the fridge was still good for use.

You make a small pizza for yourself, slide it into the oven, and hop onto the counter to wait. But waiting gives you too much time to think, and thinking was already making you a little depressed. You swing your legs absently, and soon you find yourself singing a melody from a song. It keeps you occupied and you get to exercise your voice. When you ran out of melodies, you just did vocal warmups to test how high and low you could go.

"Beep! Beep! Beep!"

You hop off the counter and pull the pizza out of the oven using a folded-up cloth, but your hand slightly touches the top of the oven. You quickly put your dinner down and hiss in pain.

"Ow! Shit..." You move over to turn on the sink.

Putting it under cold running water makes it feel better, for now. You know from experience with welding burns that it would still ache throughout the day. Still, it's not a bad burn, and will mostly just be a nuisance.

You do your best to ignore the pain and eat your dinner. You didn't have much experience making pizza, but it still tasted delicious, even if it was a bit messy. 

Afterward, you do some (not really  necessary) tune-ups for the toy animatronics. You've learned that they can, in fact, feel pain when active. If you're not careful, that is. Still, you prefer to do repairs while they're shut down.

And even after you're done with that, you still have to wait for midnight. You glance at the clock. 8:07.

-------------

Most employees know that the current location of Freddy Fazbear's pizzeria was once a live performance stage. So, there is a shower in the back room (which would have been a dressing room for human performers.).

It had since been turned off, simply because no one has needed to use it. Though you are not a plumber, with the help of a youtube tutorial and a wrench you manage to reconnect the water line.

You take a quick shower and change into some comfier clothes. You dry your hair as you're making your way to the office. The blankets and pillows lay in the same heap you left them in, and you decide to make a nest for you to sleep in. Now that you think about it, it had probably been a good 48 hours since you last slept. But you had things to do, you'd told yourself, so just have some caffeine and focus.

You pile stuff into a ring with a nice, soft mound of material in the center. Two people your size could fit in the middle, even if they stretched out. How did you fit this much bedding into your car?

Whatever,  you think, It doesn't matter.  The bed was made, so you flop into it to test it out.

You didn't mean to fall asleep there, but you did. The caffeine had pittered out hours ago, and you were asleep seconds after you laid down.

--------------------

The first thing Bonnie does when he wakes up is look for you. It's just a habit. He seeks the sense of care and safety that you provide.

He first checks the maintenance room, and finds only your tool bag.

He then knocks on the door of the bathroom, thinking you may be in there. You aren't.

Instead, he finds you fast asleep in the security office curled up on one side of your makeshift bed. You're snoring, making a soft whistling sound.

He tilts his head curiously. Judging by the empty, coffee stained thermos, this was much needed rest for you. You were usually able to stay up through the night, but he realized that you had been pushing yourself to repair him and the others.

A sliver of guilt worms its way into his thoughts.

You shift in your sleep, breaking him out of his thoughts. He doesn't know what encourages him to do so, but he quietly and carefully lays down next to you. Some part of him was telling him that you wouldn't want to be alone.

He gently pulls a blanket over you. No matter what, he decided, he would be there to greet you when you woke up.

An: sorry that so much of this chapter is exposition, but I wanted to leave few plot holes and explain how she could live in the pizzeria as best I could. There will probably be  some more of that in the next chapter, but not as much as there is here.